Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

He Slept With Our 4 Year Old For 3 Years....

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM
  • 316 Replies
1 mom liked this

Because he was too lazy and stupid to go buy her her own bed for when she was at his house. Now he's 4 states away, and I can't get her to sleep in her own bed. All I keep getting is "But Daddy let me sleep with him." And when it's 10:00 and I'm still fighting with her to stay in bed, in her own room, I get "But Daddy let me get up and watch him play video games." 

I don't know what to do...I'm at my wits end. I thought once he was gone, we could get back on a normal schedule, but it's been months and things seem to have just gotten worse. I don't know what to do or how to make her stay in her bed. Should I just let her start falling asleep with me in my bed and then putting her in her own bed and hope that oneday soon she'll get the urge to sleep in her own bed? Or should I just keep going through the nightly battle of fit throwing, temper tantrums, and screaming outbursts from her as I keep putting her back in her own bed in her own room?

And just for the record,  I know she's not trying to play us against eachother becuase I went over to his house a few times to spy...I mean, play video games...just to see what the night time routine looked like and I know for a fact that these things happened. 

by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RiotPixie
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM
5 moms liked this
Cuddle with her for a bit in your bed before she goes to sleep. When she starts getting tired, tuck her into her bed.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Oceana09
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:12 AM

BUMP!

Oceana09
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:13 AM

I've tried this. We have read time and cuddle time after I put her brother to bed at 6:30 and when I go to put her back in her own bed, she wakes up and starts screaming, kicking, and throwing fits. I don't know what to do. 

Quoting RiotPixie:

Cuddle with her for a bit in your bed before she goes to sleep. When she starts getting tired, tuck her into her bed.

cklamour
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM
19 moms liked this
Remain consistent. Some children take longer than others to break out of a routine.
Sunshine257
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM
I don't know what I would do we put our son in his bed but most of the time around 4 am he
Comes into our bed and I am to tired to move
Him. We had a hard time at first but now he knows he sleeps in his own bed unless daddy works nights then he sleeps with me. We read to him or tell him a story give him
Warm baths at night. You could try the you're a big girl and big girl's sleep in their
Own bed. Maybe try a sticker chart and give
Her a small prize at the end of the week if she stays in her bed. I don't know I am at a loss. I hope someone can give you some good advice.
dmarie2101
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:15 AM
41 moms liked this

tell her to go to bed and stay there. period, the end. if she gets up, put her back. if she refuses to go, carry her.

idk why some of you bargain with your kids.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:17 AM
4 moms liked this
You need to have a set bedtime routine every night that stays exactly the same...brush teeth, go potty, Jammie's, book, hugs and kisses, bedtime(whatever routine works for you guys). First time she comes out tell her it's bedtime and lead her back into her room put her in bed.. Second time don't say a word and lead her back to her room and put her in bed, you might have to do it 45 times but she will get the hint that she needs to listen to you and will go to sleep. It might be a rough week but stay consistent and things will get better.
Toonkasmommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM
4 moms liked this
Lay in her bed until she falls asleep
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:18 AM
Cuddle on her bed for awhile, then just sit in her room after awhile. Soon you should be able to read her book, kiss her head and lights out. But it's going to take time.

Quoting Oceana09:

I've tried this. We have read time and cuddle time after I put her brother to bed at 6:30 and when I go to put her back in her own bed, she wakes up and starts screaming, kicking, and throwing fits. I don't know what to do. 

Quoting RiotPixie:

Oceana09
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:21 AM

I've tried the stickers and all I got was attitude. She says she doesn't want the prize. She's never had an attitude like she does now. And I wouldn't mind if she came in later in the night, early in the morning. But she won't even go to sleep unless she is in bed with someone else. I tried the big girl thing and all I got was "I'm not a big girl." with no explanation as to why she thinks this. I can't handle it anymore. I'm at my wits end but I don't want to be one of those mothers that takes their kid to a shrink to be put on meds just becuase I can't handle her. Just because I can't handle her and she has bad habits doesn't mean that there's something medically wrong with her kwim?

Quoting Sunshine257:

I don't know what I would do we put our son in his bed but most of the time around 4 am he
Comes into our bed and I am to tired to move
Him. We had a hard time at first but now he knows he sleeps in his own bed unless daddy works nights then he sleeps with me. We read to him or tell him a story give him
Warm baths at night. You could try the you're a big girl and big girl's sleep in their
Own bed. Maybe try a sticker chart and give
Her a small prize at the end of the week if she stays in her bed. I don't know I am at a loss. I hope someone can give you some good advice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN