Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

My 7 year old wants to go to church.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

DH is an unpractising Catholic (usually won't admit that he is Catholic).

I am a semi-practising Lutheran. I love the stories (well most of them), I WANT to believe, but can't fully. I wish I could.. Honestly who wouldn't want to know, with their whole being, that when they die, they will go to such a wonderful place if they live their life right?

We do celebrate Christian holidays, DH & I know the Christian reasons for the holidays & I have passed that onto my children. All of our children are baptised Lutheran.

We really are not an very religious family. We don't go to church (except for family weddings, baptisms, funerals, etc). My DH thinks that if I take the kids to church, it's forcing a belief on them, he wants them to discover their own beliefs. I am fine with it, I think if a person finds their own faith it will be even stronger than one they were raised in.

Well last night as Easter came to a close, my 7 year old DD decided that she wants to go to church on Sundays now. I honestly have no problem taking her, if anything I really do like the sermons, even though I have a hard time believing everything I hear. So if she wants to go, I'm more than happy to go too.

Do you think 7 years is old enough to decide something like this? I haven't told DH yet, but hopefully he understands that DD asked, with no prompting from me.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
danie24
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I wouldn`t take my 7 year old to a place of fairytale worship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:11 AM

Yes, it's a fine age for a child to start deciding for themselves what they believe. As long as you're not forcing them to believe in something and they are just testing the waters I see no issue with it what so ever, and I am an atheist. I think all children should see all sides and eventually decide for themselves.

audreesmama
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM
1 mom liked this
I think that's a good age for her to start exploring religion. Just because I don't believe doesn't mean I need to force my beliefs or lack thereof on my child.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Beautiful31mom
I think so.
christina0607

If its something she's interested in she should be encouraged.

raegansmom
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Lots of people do.  There is never a slow day at Disney!

As for the OP, if she asked, why not let her go & see what it's all about?

Quoting danie24:

I wouldn`t take my 7 year old to a place of fairytale worship.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM
Yes, I would let my kids go. I'm all for church and learning about God/Jesus and the Bible.
Rain2Rinse
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:14 AM
2 moms liked this
My 6 year old believes in God. I am not sure why. Dh and I do not. However, I will not take away her right to explore and choose her own belief system. She's been walking around the house reading me stories out of her bible.

When she asks questions I make sure not to give her sarcastic, why do you believe that crap, answers. We go to different churches while she tries to find one she likes. We discuss religious aspects of holidays. I'm her mother, not her mind. As long as she isn't harming herself or others, I have an obligation to be supportive and help her on her journey, wherever it may lead.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MrsCountryMama
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM
Yes. My 6 siblings and i grew up in a strict Baptist family. We were forced to go to church twice a week, to a church we hated.

Now that I have children I take them to church. They enjoy it and ask to go to all the activities. I chose a community church with an awesome childrens program.

If they decided they didn't want to go I wouldn't force them to. 7 is old enough to choose imo. She might like it or hate it. Why not let her decide.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Megara
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 9:15 AM

Yes, you say you want them to discover their own beliefs and she wants to go to a place where she can learn how some people believe.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)