Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is she too young

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd is 12. She got her pariod for the first time at age 11. She's always just used pads. Well this morning my sister called because my dd was over there spending the night. This morning my dd got her pariod but all my sister uses are tampons. I've always been scared to allow her to use tampons. I heard a young girl shouldn't use tampons until she's at least sexually active. How true is that? Am I just being over cautious?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (11-20):
MrsCountryMama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:05 AM
It's fine as long as she understands she has to change it regularly to avoid toxic shock syndrome.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
1 mom liked this
That's an old wives tale lol poor kid. They make slim fit ones for young girls that might be good for her
Tampons have nothing to do with sex. .
jbirchard
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
I used tampons from the get go. I got my period at 11 and lost my virginity at 17.
amy31308
by Ashlee on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
Yes she can use tampons. Lol
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM

It is ok for her to use tampons. Neither of my teenagers are sexually active 1 uses tampons the other uses pads it's just a personal preference as to what they want to use.

mamahernandez3
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
Not true. She can start wearing tampons. She'll be fine. :)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
teaspring
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM

I got my period at 11, too, on Christmas day no less!  LOL!! 

I swam on the swim team so I quickly came to use tampons.  She'll be fine, as others have mentioned - just be sure to caution her regarding TSS.

hugzzz momma!

lauren.m
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
She will be fine I used tampons way before I lost my virginity. Just make sure its the right absorbency and is changed often.
ConcernedCousin
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
I used tampons when I started at 12 and wasn't sexually active till 16. As long as you teach her proper insertion, it shouldn't be a problem
CatFishMom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

Ive never heard that. I started using tampons after a year or two of having my period-I didnt want to before that but it wasnt a problem when I did and I didnt start having sex until I was nineteen. If shes comfortable with them, it's her body, her choice.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN