Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is she too young

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
My dd is 12. She got her pariod for the first time at age 11. She's always just used pads. Well this morning my sister called because my dd was over there spending the night. This morning my dd got her pariod but all my sister uses are tampons. I've always been scared to allow her to use tampons. I heard a young girl shouldn't use tampons until she's at least sexually active. How true is that? Am I just being over cautious?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:01 AM
Replies (31-40):
acollins09
by Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

Yes, wearing tampons can break the hymen, but so can horseback riding, bike riding, gymnastics, and all sorts of other things!  There isn't a reason to be concerned, as only vaginal intercourse will cause her to lose her virginity.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean? So then being concerned would be the right thing to do as a parent of a young teen girl.

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

It can happen, but that doesn't mean anything.

Quoting Anonymous:

That is what I was told too but I think it's not true.

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom didnt let me wear them because.she was afraid it'll break my hymen. I used the little ones behind her back when i turned 17.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:31 PM
There's no need for concern. So many things can break your hymen. I fell at 7 and broke mine.

Quoting Anonymous:

What do you mean? So then being concerned would be the right thing to do as a parent of a young teen girl.

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

My mom didnt let me wear them because.she was afraid it'll break my hymen. I used the little ones behind her back when i turned 17.

giejie
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM
2 moms liked this
The reason that most doctors don't recommend tampons for little girls is because they will get a super or super duper and leave them in longer than they should resulting in toxic shock syndrome
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
muthrof_2
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:33 PM
I used them at 9. She would be fine.
eztwins
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 1:37 PM
I guess if having an intact hymen is a concern then yes there maybe cause for concern. But imo a hymen doesn't mean anything. I started right away with tampons bc it was summer. I was 11. Didn't have sex till 17. That's something as the mom you need to decide.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

AMedicsPixie
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM
Why? Of what importance is the hymen? There are other ways it can be broken as well.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting AMedicsPixie:

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting Anonymous:

Sassy762
by CAFE SASSY HBIC on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:29 PM
1 mom liked this

Don't stoop to her level.........she is way beneath you

Quoting Anonymous:

You don't even know me. I didn't ask if I'm being dumb. Calling people dumb because of a question. What does that make you. ' ignorant'.

Quoting Tiff_R_92:

And yes you're being dumb

autiemama516
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:31 PM

My dd is 12 too. She started a couple months ago. She has already asked about tampons. I told her to wait a year or two I mostly worry about toxic shock syndrome.

snowiscold
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:47 PM

No, she is not too young.  My daughter recently asked if she could try tampons instead of pads (she started her period when she was 9, almost 10).  However, she couldn't insert it properly and she was in tears.  If your daughter can insert a tampon and remove it regularly, then I would let her use them. 

soon2bmomof3619
by Tinkerbell on Apr. 1, 2013 at 8:55 PM
I used tampons starting my second period at age 11. I now use a menstrual cup and that's what my DD will use too or cloth pads.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)