Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What would you say to your child

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 189 Replies
If your 3 year old came up and sat in your lap at an indoor play place and points to a little girl with Down's syndrome and says "that girl looks weird"
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:04 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Birdseed
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:06 AM
95 moms liked this

I would say, "She does look different than you, but that doesn't make her weird.  It's not polite to point and say things like that.  If you have a question about someone, you can whisper it to me."

MilkLover0203
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:07 AM
17 moms liked this
I've actually had that happen. I let my son know that she didn't look weird, she looked different than he did because we are all different in one way or another.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
12 moms liked this

"I bet you look weird to HER."

Two_Hearts
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:08 AM
5 moms liked this

Quoting Birdseed:

I would say, "She does look different than you, but that doesn't make her weird.  It's not polite to point and say things like that.  If you have a question about someone, you can whisper it to me."

this is the perfect answer. 

jbirchard
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:09 AM
That everyone is different. And it doesnt make them weird.
BeAmour
by Tonya on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
2 moms liked this

I would take him/her to a private area and explain to him/her that what they said wasn't nice and we aren't to judge people based on their looks. Some people look very differently than other people and that's okay.

leakymommy
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM
9 moms liked this
I would smile and say "honey she's not weird, just different than me and you. She's beautiful. Why don't you go ask her to play?"
If he asked more questions I would answer. I would point out that she has downs.
Vipergirl22
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:10 AM

I would tell her the truth as to why she looks like that and that it is not weird, just different.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:11 AM
3 moms liked this
I'd just say that everyone looks different and leave it at that. If it were a child that he saw all the time like a classmate I'd explain in more detail, like tell him that she has a medical condition that makes her look and act a bit differently but that he should play with her like any of his other classmates.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 11:12 AM
4 moms liked this
My mom would have smacked me in the face and said there, now you look weird too.

Joke!

She was like that to a degree but not that bad. I would tell him that the kid is different. I would explain why the child is different and that its okay to be different. And then wed talk about why he had a rude mouth in the way phrased it. Questions are okay. But I will try not to let my kid thinking talking like that is fine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured