Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Should I refuse a cervix check?

Posted by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
  • 68 Replies
UPDATE: turns out the doctor didn't even offer one!!

I have a doctor's appt at 3:30 today. They had planned to check my cervix, but I just had it done THREE times during an overnight stay at the hospital on Friday night (my contractions were 1-2 minutes apart all night, but my cervix was totally closed.

Now my contractions are only every 10 or 20 minutes like they've been for a week. I see no reason to get my cervix checked today, since they really hurt me for some reason. And, I am getting induced tomorrow morning, so I assume they'll do it then.

Thoughts?advice?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:45 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Retrokitty
by Jasmyne on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
I only got my cervix checked in labour and the day before when I got my membrains swept
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
TheDoctorsWife
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:47 PM
1 mom liked this

I've never felt the need to refuse one. It's your body, your choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
If it makes you uncomfortable, and you don't feel there is a good reason for them to check then say you'd prefer if they didn't. My OB told me he would only check me at my request, or if I felt like I was going into early labor. I didn't get checked once - well before her birthday I mean.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM
2 moms liked this
Why refuse it ? Seems a little silly to me
KGreen75
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Only you can answer that question.  I've never felt the need to refuse one, I'd rather be safe than sorry...You do what you're comfortable doing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM
1 mom liked this
I was never checked with my last baby. Not once. Unless there are preterm labor concerns, there really isn't a need and there are risks of having it done.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

Honestly I wouldn't want to be induced if I wasn't dialated at all so I would get checked.  But that is me.

Alejandra10
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM
I wouldn't refuse it specially after my second I never had any known contractions one morning I just woke up with a lot of pressure on my leg when I vwent to the doc app I was at 6 cm and the doc said she could already feel baby right there totally scared me personally I would just get it done specially if I was having contractions yeah its not fun but anything for the well being of my baby
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
rgba
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I have to be induced; I have cholestasis. I'm only 37 weeks :(

Quoting Anonymous:

Honestly I wouldn't want to be induced if I wasn't dialated at all so I would get checked.  But that is me.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
B1Bomber
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM
2 moms liked this

They hurt me too and I never wanted them.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)