Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being on PA. FS and etc

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 30 Replies

Somebody made a comment about parents on food stamps and etc,  that in order to stay on the program that your children must be in school and have good grades,  good idea or not?

Just a month ago while going through a food stamp recert, case worker asked me to send copies of my childrens report cards.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

BUMP!

ElitestJen
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
4 moms liked this

*shrug*  I don't know.  But when you invite the government to "help" you, you invite their control and their rules.  Nothing is ever free.

staceysgorbach
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I think it's a stupid idea. Way to put pressure on a kid. Bad grades? You don't get to eat.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM

In most states they have to verify the childs in school - but in oklahoma that's not required - here you are able to school your child at home with no proof needed - hell you can unschool your child if you want - It's different state to state -

kitchen.ninja
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:54 PM
I think the idea is a bad one.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
So if they make bad grades they have to starve?
Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't see anything wrong with it. If the government is supporting your kids, then they why wouldn't they want to know that the kids are being educated and cared for properly.

randi1978
by Murdoc's Mistress on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

That's new.  I did read about that idea though.  I don't remember if they were discussing it on a federal level or within that specific state, but I thought the idea was asinine.  A child's grades should not determine whether or not they will be fed.

illinoismommy83
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:56 PM

You would think the underprivileged kids with poor grades would still deserve to eat. It's not like a poor family on welfare can afford after school tutors.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

What about the parents of children who aren't school age or the ones whose children have learning disabilities...bad idea. I think a lot of parents would end up doing their kids homework for them just so they get good grades. Plus it is just kind of dumb.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)