Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Being on PA. FS and etc

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Somebody made a comment about parents on food stamps and etc,  that in order to stay on the program that your children must be in school and have good grades,  good idea or not?

Just a month ago while going through a food stamp recert, case worker asked me to send copies of my childrens report cards.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 2:51 PM
Replies (21-30):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Prove the parents are working or seeking work, yes. Requiring good grades from a child, no. What of the child has learning disabilities. That's not fair to the child to out that sort of pressure on them. The pressure should be on the parents. Make them work or be seeking work.
elliotmommytobe
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:10 PM
Well well br off pa before my kid starts school
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Rust.n.Gears
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:11 PM

I have to provide a report card for my foster son to keep his assistance. It is only to prove that he is going to school and not skipping.

mom23heathens
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:16 PM

I think that grades shouldn't be an issue. But i do think that proof of attendance should be or in cases of homeschooling some sort of proof that they are actually being taught and are learning something. I knew a family that nev bothered with their kids. The mom was so lazyhe never bothered with school or baths or even cooking for her kids. I was a teenager back then and and those kids were made fun of by other kids because of it.

LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:19 PM
Stupid idea. You were asked for their report card to prove residency.
Val99
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:20 PM

I think it's a great idea.  So many parents aren't involved with their children's education that it might help nudge them in the right direction if it were required.  You also might be able to get more assistance if your kids grades aren't good.

My kids would have had hell to pay from me if their grades were bad.  They also would have been thrown out of their school if they had less than a C average. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 10 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:21 PM
I think it's ridiculous. My state sends you crap if your child is not fully vaccinated. I pay for my own health insurance but for the first 4 years Ds received Medicaid. When I started my new job that provided excellent benefits I tried to drop Medicaid. They wouldn't let me because he still qualifies. He is no where near up to date with his shots and they keep sending me letters about getting his shots. I don't even use it since his doctor doesn't participate. It's a waste of their time to harass me about it.
LoriLou75
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:22 PM
Sure, because kids in foster care have it sooo good... smfh

Quoting AquariusFemale9:

That's not it. Bad grades? You will be put in the care of someone who can feed you so you can focus on school instead of where your next meal is coming from.

Quoting staceysgorbach:

I think it's a stupid idea. Way to put pressure on a kid. Bad grades? You don't get to eat.

Bigmetalchicken
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I kind of think it is a great idea, but at the same time, that is just adding MORE government involvement into people's lives, which I am completely against. But then again, it is another perfect example of how when you are indebted or dependant on someone, you are enslaved to them, so I suppose it might make sense. At least it would be a positive in favor of the system.

I guess I am of two minds on it.  It is a shame that some people have to be forced to aid their children in bettering their lives, even in theory.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:39 AM

You are 100% right , I hope to be off by June

Quoting ElitestJen:

*shrug*  I don't know.  But when you invite the government to "help" you, you invite their control and their rules.  Nothing is ever free.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN