Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (11-20):
EvilAsh
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
1 mom liked this

My oldest's name is Natalie and she prefers going by just Nat. 

My youngest is Madilynn and we call her Madi.

What's the big deal?

luckythreemom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:53 PM
2 moms liked this
I am not saying it is a big deal. I just don't get it. Parents usually put a lot of time and thought into a child's name. For what? To call them something different? I just wondered what the reasoning was.
luckythreemom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
Quoting LucyHarper:

My youngest sons name is Robin, we call him Robbie a lot, it's just a fun nickname. We love the name that we gave him and want that to be his name, nicknames are just nice, we call him both names. I know lots of kids who have the same name as a parent, so they go by either a nickname or their middle name to prevent confusion. 

Thank you. I can understand this.
just1moremeans4
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:55 PM
2 moms liked this
my thoughts exactly! my oldest is Branson and someone actually asked me if i were going to call him Bran. i looked at her like she was a freaking idiot and said "uhhh no why the hell would i call him Bran?" and walked off. Jaxon is NEVER called Jax but i HATE the spelling Jackson bc it would be shortened to Jack, which i hate just as much. Ainsley can't be shortened and the new baby also can't be shortened either.
Quoting PhantomRose88:

I specifically gave my kids names that can't be shortened or turned into nicknames for that exact reason.  

MrsDavidB25
by Stacey on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

DS name is Timothy James. We call him TJ. I wanted him to have a full 'proper' name that he could use once he is an adult if he chooses.

paganmommy4
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:56 PM

My oldest is Ashley but I call her Ash, and My yougest is Charley, and sometimes i call them both bug

jen_keiko
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM
3 moms liked this

My DD's name is Alisyn-Rei but we call her either Ali or Al. We reserve Alisyn-Rei for when she's in trouble. :)

ambermarie2006
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM
Mackenzie prefers to be called Kenzie.

On the other hand my son Matthew hates anyone to shorten his name, no Matt or Mattie.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
WinterRosesmom
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM
1 mom liked this
My brother n laws name is charles christopher and he goes by chris too. i love it

Quoting shivasgirl:

funny story...my mom named my little brother Charles Christopher...we called him Chris since birth...when he was 16 he started applying for jobs. I answered the phone one day to a man asking for Charles. I told him he had the wrong number. He called again, I said sorry, wrong number...I hung up and then remembered that Chris' first name was Charles!

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:57 PM
5 moms liked this
Because y'all crazy asses on cm would be pissed I named him monkey juice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN