Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (31-40):
wulfeyes05
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:01 PM
1 mom liked this

Both of my boys have names that can be shortened. I do call my youngest Bendabear and his name's Benjamin. 

mommymelissa76
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this

We call my DD Alexandra Allie just because it seemed to fit her bubbly personality better and we call My youngest DS Mr. Binks cuz he just binks around all the time...lol Jared and Brandon we call by their full names though..Its just a personality thing with us I guess

chelsone
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My boyfriends grandpa is james rick. He goes by either. My boyfriend is james taylor. He goes by either. My son is liam. I call him buddy, liam and pumpkin. Lol. But i do make sure i call him by his name so he can get used to hearing it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
spooky415
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
1 mom liked this
My son's name is Michael David but I call him Davey. His father's name is Michael.

He also goes by "Bear" "Mr Bear" "Stinky Old Bear" "Dr. Bear" "Officer Bear" and just about any other variation of "Bear" you could imagine.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:02 PM
My 2 oldest normally go by their full names. Ethan and Trentan. Sometimes I'll call Ethan "E", sometimes Trentan will be called "T" or Trent. Usually not though.

My youngest's name is Sullevan, we usually call him Sully.

My husband's name is William Cory and he goes by Cory.
fullxbusymom
by Ruby Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM

I read this quick and read Robin and couldn't understand why you would call a girl Robbie.  LOL!!  Then I read it was a boy.  Here Robin is 100% just a girls name so that is where my mind went. 

Quoting LucyHarper:

My youngest sons name is Robin, we call him Robbie a lot, it's just a fun nickname. We love the name that we gave him and want that to be his name, nicknames are just nice, we call him both names. I know lots of kids who have the same name as a parent, so they go by either a nickname or their middle name to prevent confusion. 

GhettoKoolAide
by Lighthouse Blues on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Lol!! I would proudly wear a monkey juice button. Slightly off topic but in Wisconsin they make a banana milk called monkey juice.

Quoting WinterRosesmom:

I would vote MONKEY JUICE FOR PRESEDENT!!!!

Quoting GhettoKoolAide:

Because y'all crazy asses on cm would be pissed I named him monkey juice.

my123sons
by Silver Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
Because Boobear and Boo wouldn't look good on job applications. And while no one thinks it's strange for me to use those as nicknames, they would think I was off my rocker to actually name my kids those names.
KlingyMomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons name is Anthony Ebbin. We call him Ebbin. While I was pregnant with him he was going to be Ebbin Anthony. I talked to my belly. Sang Ebbin songs. And that was his name. At 21 weeks I went into labor. Labor was stopped and I was flown out of state to stay in a hospital. My brother flew out to take care of my daughter while I couldn't. He put off collage to take care of me. His name is Anthony. Well, up until the minute I signed the birth certificate papers his name was Ebbin Anthony. At the LAST POSSIBLE SECOND I switched it to Anthony Ebbin. To honor my brother. But the name Ebbin stuck. He knows his full name though. And will respond to his first name also :-)
lUcKyLoVe22
by Gold Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:03 PM
1 mom liked this
My sons name is Nathaniel and has a tin of nicknames from me but nobody else is allowed to use any other name. people have called him Nate and Nathan. One of my biggest pet peeves.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)