Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (501-510):
lwalker270
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:37 AM
I don't see the big deal, especially if it's a name that's shortened. My oldest is Zachary and goes by Zach.

My younger sisters are Catherine and Rachel and both go by their full names, but most people that are close to them call them Cath and Rach.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prettygirl326
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 5:41 AM
Weirdo.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 68 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:14 AM
My only input is that both names that you gave as an example (Samantha & Jeff) are my DH & DD's names. Just thought it was a neat coincidence :). No other input as I'm sure whatever input I would share has already been beat to death at 500-plus posts!!!
So.Ill.Mama
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:23 AM
Rylan we usually call Ry, and Brianna gets called B a lot. But mostly we use their real names. Or regular names. Or whatever, Idk lol... My name is Tierney, and my mom called me Terry Lee when i was younger. After she died when i was 9, I refused to let anyone else call me that. I get T sometimes now, but I've never really had a nickname...I used to wish I did, now idc.
shimmifairy
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 6:54 AM

I had serious medical complications while I was pregnant with my daughter, I named her Victoria because she's my victory...But she was a tiny little thing when she was born  - her head was the size of an apple, lol- and her whole name was just too big....She's a fighter, so I started calling her Tora....Because it sounded to me both like what the bull fighters say (Toro!) and that movie Tora,Tora,Tora....Found out latter it's either Chinese or Japanese for Tiger...Sometimes she's Tori, ToriLynne, ToraLynne, Tor, Toria but never Vicki...Whatever fits or suits the time, the person calling her or her mood....

My own name is Angela, which very few people actually call me....I think of it as my "formal" name because t's really only ever used with business and legal matters....Think of any variation on that and there is someone wh  calls me that....yes, even Ela...I guess sometimes what we get named doesn't quite fit, or fit the way we're perceived :)

angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:00 AM

my brother is Christopher Ryan and he goes by Ryan. My name is Angela and I go by Angel it's not really any one else's business so I don't really care what you think. 

It's Cassandra Cat! 

katelynsmommy30
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:07 AM
Hmm I understand what your asking! For me, we named out dd katelyn. Which for short whenever she is old enough to understand things, she could be called Kate if she chooses. I had every intention knowing that, that could be a possibility as she got older. But for now we call her silly nicknames like pookie or bug or sissy. So I think it's just a matter of preference. And trust me we put a ton of thought into her name! Tons! Lol!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
angie
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:13 AM

Luc usually turns into Luc-Luc actually. You can't shorten Logan, unless I wanted to call him Log, LOL! We purposly chose name that couldn't really be altered, partly because my husband's name is JEFERY and upon meeting people for the first time, even in a professional setting, everyone calls him JEFF even after being introduced as JEFFERY!!! Drives him nuts, it's just a respect thing. My name is Angela, but I go by Angie, always have and I prefer it that way. Angela just sounds too foreign to my ears now. ; )

Bonasse
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:23 AM

I have pondered the same question. I see a nickname as a form of endearment.

Like Babe, Honey, Sweetheart, Babydoll, Sexy Lady ;) for our spouses or SO. I call my children by their given names: Markieth, Brandon, Kenneth, Christina, Blade, Kevin and Gideon. Someone once asked me if I would shorten on of their names. I said, "No. Nicknames are to be given by friends." 

I didn't really like mine, Beaner. My name is Emerine. (em-er-reene) Some of my friends started calling me Emerbeaner then just Beaner. LOL That's not as bad as my friend, Becki's nickname, Beckerpecker. LOL And then there was Jolene, Joblow. Yeah, we  had a silly bunch of friends.

megs2boys
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 10:44 AM

I really dont remember...i guess i probably figured it would be like Gabriels name, mostly called by his name with the occasional Sam or Sammy thrown in there, but it just didnt work out that way. In fact right around the time he turned three i called him by his full name when he was being naughty and my big boys looked at me and asked why i called him that, that his name was Sammy not "Samwheel"!!

Quoting luckythreemom:

Quoting megs2boys:

I have an Isaiah, a Gabriel and a Samuel. Isaiah is always Isaiah, Gabriel is mostly Gabriel with the occasional Gabe from our family, but if you ask him what his name is he says Gabriel, that's what he writes on his papers at school and that's what his teachers and friends call him. Samuel is a different story, he has never been called Samuel in his life, he is and always will be Sammy to me, and Sam or Sammy to everyone else. But Samuel is a family name and that's why he has it, plus I think putting Sammy on his birth certificate would look weird! 

Did you use Samuel with the intention of calling him that, but ended up prefering Sammy? Or did you not intend on using Samuel at all (other than to be proper on bc)?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN