Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (511-520):
mama3p
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:14 PM
Actually all my kids names (they have 3: 1 first and 2 middle) are equally important to us. Their first names all have signficant meaning and their middle names have cultural significance and pertain to the circumstances of their birth. Also there is the whole stigma the missionaries put on us about our native languages being taboo and that we needed to give our children "good" christian names. Now I know this happened a while back but that kind of oppression tends to linger.Thankfully you see alot more Hawaiian and Samoan kids these days with first names in their language instead of middle names. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way you feel...there is also absolutely nothing wrong with the way I feel. :)
Quoting luckythreemom:

Quoting mama3p:

My daughters name is Maya...in school she is called Maya and some family members call her Maya...the rest of us call her Wailele/Lele (her hawaiian name) it's a very common cultural thing for us so i don't see a problem with it. My sisters first name is Saima'auga'aumaiafiifaiesea...we call her Sa for short. Her name is an ancient family name passed down through the generations and we love it...this must be bothering the crap out of people LOL... Now let's talk about the people/kids with 2/3 and sometimes even 4 last names...that is friggin' ridiculous!

It doesn' t make me angry or annoy me, I was honestly just hoping someone could explain it to me.Ireally didnt know. Like I said in the post, I worked really hard on their names, because that is what I intended for them to be called. I know I am not the only momma that worked hard on my kid's names. Most people choose something special and love it. So, after all of that, why would youcall them something different? I would feel completely defeated. ( I know not everyone would, but I would.) So I was hoping for some moms to shed some light on why they did. I see it more andmre now( or notice it more) and I was wondering about it. Did it start at home or with a member of the family that wasn`t that fond of the given name. I have a need to understand

Anonymous
by Anonymous 69 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:17 PM

Names get shortened by other people, by yourself, by the child's siblings, etc. if I were an anal ass clown, I would insist my children only go by their given names. It would get a bit wordy if every time I talked to my youngest, I called her Gillian Lyla Isabella rather than Gilly or Gillian. Sometimes, she's even called beanie, or beaner, because her nick name from birth was Gilly Bean, and it evolved over time. 

On this train of thought, why give your child a middle name when most people never use it? 

MaNdYbEaR2010
by *Manda* on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:18 PM
Pretty much this.

Quoting Randi02:

I shorten two of my kids' names sometimes. I don't see it as being a big deal, it suits their personalities better now - but they still have the full version for when they are fully grown and want to sound more professional.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
sweetgrlangel
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:43 PM

I know, it really sucks!  Alot of people try to call our daughter "Bella" as well and that just is not her name!!

Quoting Toxic.Stardust:

I love the name Emmett. too bad it's now associated with the Twilight books so people assume that's where the name comes from

Quoting sweetgrlangel:

We call tue boys by their names, Brady, Wyatt, & Emmett. Our girl is Isabelle, we use that or Belle. And my dad calls her Izzy, and he is th only one that can get away with it.

Princess.Sara
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:51 PM

Your welcome! It was beyond ridiculous how they were acting. All you were doing was asking a question because you didn't understand, but heaven forbid you should do that I guess. And I know exactly what you mean on the names, I worked hard for my kids' names too and they are special to me and I wanted them to be called that too.

Quoting luckythreemom:

Quoting Princess.Sara:

I always wondered too. I call my children by their names. I do remember when my brother William was born my mom said no one was allowed to call him Bill or Billy, his name is William. I also don't understand the nickname Dick or Dickie for Richard (my dad) or Bob for Robert (my uncle), I actually didn't know my uncle's name was Robert until I was a teenager, because everyone called him Bob.

And I can't believe people are getting soo bent out of shape for you just asking a question, it's ridiculous.

Thanks for the support. I can't believe how many are saying I am mad or I think full names should be this or that. I was just hoping someone could shed some light on something that I didn't understand. Not because I thought it was right or wrong, but because I did not know. I worked hardfor my kid's names, because I wanted them to be called that. Kwim? Again thanks! At least I know that not everyone on here is bitter and angry.:-D

sunangel803
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:58 PM
Quoting luckythreemom:

Honestly, I'm not sure. My husband and I liked both Jake and Jacob, so I'm not sure if we would've gone with Jake if the middle name was different :)
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:12 AM

I have wondered this myself. :) 

Eve-marie
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:31 AM

And he'll probably be 'Rob' when he grows up. Lol

Quoting LucyHarper:

My youngest sons name is Robin, we call him Robbie a lot, it's just a fun nickname. We love the name that we gave him and want that to be his name, nicknames are just nice, we call him both names. I know lots of kids who have the same name as a parent, so they go by either a nickname or their middle name to prevent confusion. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 70 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:52 AM

My sons name is David and that's what we call him.  His godmother calls him Dave (which is what we call DH) and my neighbor calls him Davey (I freaking hate that, but neighbor is strange so I let it go).  My daughter is Avery and that's the name we all call her, no one has tried to shorten it, neighbor man calls her Gracie.  Her given name is Avery Grace, I guess he just remembers the Grace part...again he a weird one. I call my son babe, handsome..the normal cute nicknames sometimes.  I also call my daughter princess or beautiful.  Most times we all call them by their given name.  I don't care what people call their kids by, their kids their choice.

jas_momof2
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:56 AM

Because a long formal name sounds better when you're yelling at them...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)