Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (521-530):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:57 AM

My parents have a nickname for me that I have continued to use.  Why?  Because I had a cousin with the same name (we were both named for our grandmother).  It was confusing if we both went by that name and I HATE "little" and "big" in front of each.  DS has his given name and we shortened it because it is easier to get out quickly.  If he wants to use his full name when he is older, that is fine by us. 

PITAmom1023
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:05 AM
My daughters name is Arianna we called her Ari to me Ari isn't a full name but a cut nickname. Not only that her brother called her Nana when she was born so that's also a nickname and now he is 4 ish he calls her Arianna and so do a few ppl really only family call her Ari. My sister is abbygail sophia she was adopted and when we met her her name was Abcde we didn't like it we call her abby. Now that she is in school she goes by Sophia to everyone else. My mom said we had middle names and never used em she wanted her to use hers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
PITAmom1023
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:06 AM
Look at that it even confused me her name is sophia abbygail we call her by her middle name everyone else her first lol sorry
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:09 AM
My mom calls my brother Joseph. He goes by Joe but she named him Joseph and won't call him anything else.
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:13 AM

No one calls him that, usually he's just Robin, so I wouldn't bet on it.

Quoting Eve-marie:

And he'll probably be 'Rob' when he grows up. Lol

Quoting LucyHarper:

My youngest sons name is Robin, we call him Robbie a lot, it's just a fun nickname. We love the name that we gave him and want that to be his name, nicknames are just nice, we call him both names. I know lots of kids who have the same name as a parent, so they go by either a nickname or their middle name to prevent confusion. 

aj_mom
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:20 PM
In the Catholic church you are supposed to give your child a proper name. Like your Jeffery example. My DD is named Abbigail we sometimes call her Abbi I would not have made Abbi her "official" name b/c when she gets older, graduates college, etc. which sounds more professional Abbi or Abbigail?
ColtsFan1912
by FriendoftheFoot on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:22 PM

My son gets called by his name, Caleb. I shorten Shiloh to shi or shi-shi sometimes. It's just cute *shrugs*

ambcortez
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:29 PM

My older sister did that with her son. She calls him by his middle name, but with her daughter, she uses first and middle name. It's weird to me. My son is James. His initials spell out JAC (intentionally), so we just call him Jac sometimes (DH is Zac, so we kept the K off of Jack). Or Jacaroni. MOST of the time he's James.

ericndaimonsmom
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:21 PM
My younger son's name is Daimon. We call him Dai(pronounced "day"). It has proven much easier for my special needs two yr old to say Dai instead of Daimon. My two yr old's name is Eric. Can't really shorten "Eric" lol :)

I'm sure everyone has a different reason. But that is mine :)
Also, my full name is Carrie-Anne. But ppl call me Carrie for short. My fam calls me by my full name most of the time.
ShannonRoe
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:25 PM

We call Andrew Drew because when he was born hes sis was 18 months and only could pronouce Drew. We usally call Audrey by her name if we use her middle name she knows the sh** has hit the fan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)