Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Why would you call your kid that? ***EDIT*** *(Another EDIT)*

Posted by   + Show Post
This is not to rip on anyone, or piss them off. I am asking because I really don't understand.
Why do you name your kid one thing and then call them something else? Whether it is a shortened version or something entirely different? Why don't you name them what you intend on calling them?

*edit* This does not include silly nicknames like: bug, monkey, boo ect...
I am talking You name your kid Samantha Jo, only to call her Jo. Why didn't you just name her Jo? Your son's name is Jeffery, but you call him Jeff. Most adults continue to use the name they used as a child.

***Another Edit***
It is obvious to me that many of you 'ladies' grt on her just to be nasty hags. You don`t actually read the post, only the title, and you don't bother reading any comments either. So for those of you, let me make it as simple as I can.

I was Curious as to Why a parent would do this because naming a kid is usually such a huge deal to the parents. It causes couples to bicker and families to frown, people research the meanings, read many books, scour the internet, and create the Perfect name for their baby. Then call them something else.
I did not say it was wrong, bad , stupid, or anything negative. I simply asked why? After all that work, why? Personally, I put a lot into my kids name knowing it would be said everyday for the rest of their lives and thought they sounded nice. I was just Curious. Not trying to hurt feelings, insult, talk shit about, make myself feel superior, or anybof that bs. Just wanted to hear answers from other. For those of you that answered without being a complete beast, Thank You! The rest of you: it is obvious that you just like to fuck with people. That isn't why I joined this group, so I will not play that game. If you don't take the time to read the post, I will not take the time to respond.
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 5:48 PM
Replies (531-540):
sarahsmom03
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:37 PM
1 mom liked this

I often think that  a nickname is a form of endearment.  My name is Ann, but close friends and family call me Annie.  Several men/boys in my family are named Charles but go by their middle names.  Charles is a family name.  It would be extremely confusing to call all of them Charles.

shoucate
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:26 PM
1 mom liked this

I think when someone gives someone a nickname it is a term of endearment of sorts and shows the kind of relationship that you have with the person. I think it is just a natural thing to do.

reneer1
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this
We picked Brodix as a name but considered the nicknames that would be used as well (Brody, Bro) I'm OK with any of the variations but want his official name to be Brodix , he can choose to be less formal when he wants or more, but had I named him Brody that would not have been an option. For him. Did that make sense? :-)
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
teddysmama09
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:38 PM
1 mom liked this

It's a term of endearment. My son's name is Theodor (after his Romanian grandfather who passed away 10 years ago) but we call him Teddy. He's 3 and Teddy is a cute name, but not exactly a name I expect him to use when he's a grown man.

My daughter is Phoebe (from the Bible, not the show!) and we call her Phoebe Muffin, or sometimes just muffin.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:40 AM

In some cases, it may be because a child is named after some one else in the family who is still alive.  For example, you might have a Thomas James Smith.  He names his son, Thomas James Smith.  The son becomes 'Junior', which makes the father senior.  Then Junior has a kid, and names his son Thomas James, but junior's Dad is still alive.  So now you have Thomas James (who is known as Senior) Father to Junior and Grandfather to Junior's son, who is now 3rd generation.  So 3rd generation becomes known as Thomas James III.  OR as I have seen is common in the south, Trey, or Trip (short for Triple referring to the triple III after the name).

Also keep in mind that many people keep with traditional names for their babies, and it has probably only been the last 15/25 years that people started using the shortened versions of names.  It used to be if your daughter was named, Kathy, it was a shortened version of Katherine, and she may have been named after an elder relative.

christina695
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:47 AM
I know what you mean. My brothers name is Joshua but no one calls him that unless he is in trouble with my parents otherwise everyone calls him Josh. And the same with my name it is Christina but my mom usually calls me Chris or Chrissy. Everyone else uses my actual name most of the time. But with my two dds names are Donna and Bonnie there is no way to change or shorten it.
mymanben
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 12:57 AM
Meh. My sons name is Benjamin. I call him both Ben and Benjamin
Momtogirls0823
by Silver Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 1:03 AM

Rosalind Arusha Arkadina Altalune Florence is the name of Uma Thurman's baby.  She goes by Luna.  I think that would be the epitome of what op is talking about!  

bluediamondmom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:12 AM
I agree with this 100%!

My name is Stephanie & I NEVER allowed anyone to shorten it! I had a teacher in 5th grade that constantly called me Step and I ignored her until she addressed me as Stephanie out of exasperation. She told my mom once she needed to have my hearing checked & then told her why. My mom asked her what was calling me in class? She told her Step & mom told her that was the problem, I was just ignoring her because I didn't answer to nick names. The teacher thought it was horrible that I didn't answer to nick names!

My sons are Andrew, Nathan & Jacob. In school Andrew started answering to Andy & I hate that. Nathan answers to Nate or our last name, because their are 5 Nathans & 2 Nathaniels in his classes. When I named him 16 years ago, for my grandfather, I had no idea the name had become so popular again! My youngest is Jacob and he is like me, he won't answer to shortened versions of his name. He ignores the person. We only call our sons by their given names. I've never seen the sense in calling someone something other than their name. But that's just my opinion.

Quoting raefmom:

I will correct people who call my kids something different. I hate it. 

Zackariah is just that. I have to constantly correct people that call him Zachary. When he started school, he decided to start going by Zack to make it easier. There were too many versions of Zackariah/Zachary. 

My other son is Jeremiah. Again, people always try to call him Jeremy? He loves his name and will get upset with people calling him the wrong name. 

Daugther is Kathryn. I call her Kathryn. Her aunt is trying to call her Katie. Uhmm no. She is Kathryn. 

Now we do have nicknames that are special between me and the kids. Katarina is what I call my daughter when she is being silly. The boys names are not bad but might cause embarrassment for them. Both say it is ok for our nuclear family to call them it. But no one else. Which is why I won't write theirs. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Dreamly
by Gold Member on Apr. 6, 2013 at 4:16 AM
I don't like bit but not my kid kwim.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured