Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Seriously? I can’t fathom why you want to cure my son. He is amazing and perfect. It hurts me to hear people “praying for a cure”. He doesn’t need a cure he needs understanding and acceptance. That’s what he needs. You can shove this cure crap up your ass for all I care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Replies (61-70):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 11 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:35 PM
1 mom liked this
My child has autism and hell yes I want a cure! I don't want him to struggle for everything. I don't want him to feel badly about himself. I don't want people to not like him because there's something different about him. I don't want him to have meltdowns when he has trouble coping with situations. How could you not want something that would put an end to your child's struggles? I wish everyday that I could take all of his problems away. So he wouldn't have to struggle more than other children his age. How could you not want better for your child?
bugsmama149
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM

Oh of course I'd want his life to be easier. I wasn't trying to seem like I'm against a cure. When I said if my son woke up tomorrow without autism and I'd miss him, I say that because the kid he is now is the kid I've always known. It'd be hard to get used to. I'm also a Mom whose kid is very high functioning. I don't know how I'd feel if his autism was more severe. Most of the time us Mom's with autistic children get to hear about the causes and "cures" for it from people who don't know anything about it. Things get said that are hurtful. We take things said about our children so personally just like any other parent. That's why I stay in the autism group for any posts I make on the subject. It's just to personal a subject to get thrown around as much as it does. But yes, I do want my sons life to be easier. But I also want my Mom, sister and my brothers lives to be easier and they're not even autistic.

Quoting shivasgirl:

no one wants your kid to stop being who they are, but really, dont you want the easiest life for them? If your kid had cancer would you just say, "Oh well, cancer makes them who they are?" My son is shy, if I could cure him of it I would...my ex is an asshole, if I could cure him of it I would. I would do anything to make the lives of the people I love as easy as possible

Quoting bugsmama149:

I love you. I really do. My 12 yr old son has autism spectrum disorder. All the little things about his autism are what makes him my son. All his flapping, noises, facial tics, fixations on things. None of those things bother me. If he woke up tomorrow and just magically didn't have any of these behaviors, I'd miss him......I'd miss my son. Sure I wish he didn't have such a hard time with his social interactions. Sure, there are things about his autism that make his life a bit more difficult. But hell, there are things about ME that make my life difficult. There are alot of negative posts about autism in this room and it bugs the shit outta me. Because so many of the comments are made by women who don't know or love someone with autism. I too get tired of everyone telling us what causes autism and how it can be cured. I think what I hate the most is when people talk about our kids like they do their autism "stuff" on purpose. Like all they need is some stern discipline and they'll just snap out of it. Those people have no clue. Our children are wonderful kids. It's a shame that everyone wants them to stop being who they are.

megs2boys
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this

I really don't know how to respond to this. I have a 3 1/2 year old with low functioning autism, he isnt walking yet, he is completely non verbal (practically mute most days), he does not respond to his name, has only picked up 2 signs in the 3 years we've been working on it so he has very little communication. But at the same time he is full of personality, he's funny and smart even though he can't express it verbally. He is the best kid ever and I would love to say I wouldnt change him for the world....but I can't say that....if there were some magical cure to make him suddenly able to walk and talk and function "normally" I would probably take it, for HIM. But I would miss him, and his upside down hanging, and his happy flapping, and the rocking on his head all night long, because all of those things make him Sammy and that's the child I have known and fallen in love with for the past 3 years.

SunshineBird
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:38 PM

Maybe this makes me horrible but my son has Autism and I hope every day for a cure. He's beautiful and amazing to me but I'd give anything for him to overcome Autism.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM
If your son is as severe as my little guys and you don't wish for something to make his life easier and without as much struggle then I question whether your motives are sincere.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

My son's autism is severe, fyi.

Quoting Anonymous:

I adore my son..every part of him. I would also love for him not to struggle in so many things. He still wears diapers at 9. He is nonverbal and is developmentally 1. I would do ANYTHING to make his life easier. Yes I pray for a cure. I think people like you don't realize there are extreme cases of autism like my ds'. I think you should think before you say such things.

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:40 PM

Anyone ever read Flowers for Algernon?

(This might seem like a weird question, but people are assuming that the child's life would absolutely be better. What if the "cure" made him or her terribly unhappy?)

Anonymous
by Anonymous 12 on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:41 PM
Eventually parents die, then who takes care of them? That's why I would want a cure. And no I don't know any autistics, but I have in the past, they were great people.
Batmansmamma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:42 PM
I didn't say AS severe as your son's autism. I wouldn't want to change all the amazing things about him some of which are associated with autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your son is as severe as my little guys and you don't wish for something to make his life easier and without as much struggle then I question whether your motives are sincere.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

My son's autism is severe, fyi.

Quoting Anonymous:

I adore my son..every part of him. I would also love for him not to struggle in so many things. He still wears diapers at 9. He is nonverbal and is developmentally 1. I would do ANYTHING to make his life easier. Yes I pray for a cure. I think people like you don't realize there are extreme cases of autism like my ds'. I think you should think before you say such things.

Batmansmamma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:48 PM
I agree with this very much. My brother was medicated as a child and it completely changed him, his personality just vanished. He wasn't my little brother anymore. He lost interest in the things he used to love as didn't really talk to people like he used to. He told our doctor he felt like a zombie. :( They ( our parents and our doctor ) took him off his medicines and my brother came back.

Quoting honeyrder:

(This might seem like a weird question, but people are assuming that the child's life would absolutely be better. What if the "cure" made him or her terribly unhappy?)

honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Apr. 1, 2013 at 7:58 PM

I'm glad he came back. :)

Quoting Batmansmamma:

I agree with this very much. My brother was medicated as a child and it completely changed him, his personality just vanished. He wasn't my little brother anymore. He lost interest in the things he used to love as didn't really talk to people like he used to. He told our doctor he felt like a zombie. :( They ( our parents and our doctor ) took him off his medicines and my brother came back.

Quoting honeyrder:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)