Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions
Seriously? I can’t fathom why you want to cure my son. He is amazing and perfect. It hurts me to hear people “praying for a cure”. He doesn’t need a cure he needs understanding and acceptance. That’s what he needs. You can shove this cure crap up your ass for all I care.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 1, 2013 at 6:31 PM
Replies (141-147):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
That's what I said. Unless you've experienced what I have..you have no right to say we don't need a cure. If you don't want one ..don't take it but there are those of us who want to make life easier for our children.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

Have you lived with my son and I. You can't compare children to one another.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then I stand by original reply. You have no idea.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

I didn't say AS severe as your son's autism. I wouldn't want to change all the amazing things about him some of which are associated with autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your son is as severe as my little guys and you don't wish for something to make his life easier and without as much struggle then I question whether your motives are sincere.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

My son's autism is severe, fyi.

Quoting Anonymous:

I adore my son..every part of him. I would also love for him not to struggle in so many things. He still wears diapers at 9. He is nonverbal and is developmentally 1. I would do ANYTHING to make his life easier. Yes I pray for a cure. I think people like you don't realize there are extreme cases of autism like my ds'. I think you should think before you say such things.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:23 AM
That's what I said. Unless you've experienced what I have..you have no right to say we don't need a cure. If you don't want one ..don't take it but there are those of us who want to make life easier for our children.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

Have you lived with my son and I. You can't compare children to one another.

Quoting Anonymous:

Then I stand by original reply. You have no idea.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

I didn't say AS severe as your son's autism. I wouldn't want to change all the amazing things about him some of which are associated with autism.

Quoting Anonymous:

If your son is as severe as my little guys and you don't wish for something to make his life easier and without as much struggle then I question whether your motives are sincere.

Quoting Batmansmamma:

My son's autism is severe, fyi.

Quoting Anonymous:

I adore my son..every part of him. I would also love for him not to struggle in so many things. He still wears diapers at 9. He is nonverbal and is developmentally 1. I would do ANYTHING to make his life easier. Yes I pray for a cure. I think people like you don't realize there are extreme cases of autism like my ds'. I think you should think before you say such things.

lancet98
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:32 AM

thank you that is very kind, but I just had good teachers in school, I take no credit -LOL - if I did I'd get my knuckles slapped with a ruler!

Quoting briansmommy2010:

I just have to say, I love the way you put your thoughts into words.

Quoting lancet98:

Of course all the kids were miserable.  My point was that even severely mentally retarded people don't live in the rainbows and flowers world of 'Flowers for Algernon'.   It's a counter culture fable.

Of course, while parents debate about 'cures' for autism they may not be taking a poll of what their children think.

I think many of the people who are more disabled with autism, might not be able to communicate or understand such issues, but I know people who are autistic and wanted desperately not to be.

I think even as some autistic people say they resent the idea of anyone pushing for 'cure', there are others who think completely the opposite.

I think it's also important to consider that 'making life easier' through therapy and education, isn't the same thing as a 'cure'.  

Making quality of life better is an achievable goal.   Education is an achievable goal.   If a kid can't tie his shoes, maybe he can learn.   Maybe his life won't be a 120,000 dollar a year job in a corporation.   Maybe 20 years from now, his best friend will still be his older sister.   Maybe tomorrow he'll make his first 'b-b-b' sound for the speech therapist.  Maybe a year from now, he'll be talking about trains a little less.   Maybe guilt and anger at the world, can be replaced by a quiet satisfaction at what persistence can make happen.

Hopefully the roughest bumps get smoothed out.  Parents who over compensate learn to relax.  Parents who feel depressed, guilty and angry, find quiet peace and acceptance and so can go on putting one foot in front of the other each day.  Maybe smile a bit, today, and a little more tomorrow, and maybe life is just a little bit better.

Quoting honeyrder:

All of the kids in the home didn't feel that way? Sure enough, it's awful for anyone to live that way.

Quoting lancet98:

Keep in mind the time in which Flowers for Algernon was written - it was basically a counter culture book and against a lot of things.

Amongst all the other social issues it pushed, the idea was that Charly was happier with the simple life of being mentally retarded,

icn_mom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:35 AM

I dont think my daughter needs a cure, but I would change her violence if I was given a way!! I would love a way for her to feel comfortable in her own skin when we are grocery shopping or at family holiday parties etc... I would love for her to just feel more comfortable in general...

autodidact
by Snarknado on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:26 PM

Obscenities add to, not detract from, the quantity of one's vocabulary. 

And you richly deserve every syllable below for your cowardly and reprehensible assertion about the OP.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd expect nothing less than such a classy reply from you.
Using curse words to express yourself is the mark of a unintelligent mind and a vocabulary that lacks substance, or so my junior year English teacher taught us. Having seen many of your other posts, I feel confident it's true in your case.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Anonymous:

If his autism was cured, she wouldn't have anything to get sympathy about.

I don't know why any parent wouldn't want their child to be healthy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 17 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:29 PM

Then please don't seek medical treament. My child needs a cure because Autism is limiting who he is, what he can do, and where he can do in life. I do pray for a cure so he can be who he really is. He seeks relationships but is so awkward it's nearly impossible. He has so many of the health issues that go hand-in-hand with Autism. He is very smart but is limited because his IQ can't bust through that wall that is Autism. I pray for a cure...for those who desire it. And no, my son isn't low functioning. He's quite high functioning. I know a lot of people think families of low functioning children are the only ones speaking of a cure.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:34 PM
Quantity is not quality dear. But I could see how you'd be confused.

Quoting autodidact:

Obscenities add to, not detract from, the quantity of one's vocabulary. 

And you richly deserve every syllable below for your cowardly and reprehensible assertion about the OP.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'd expect nothing less than such a classy reply from you.

Using curse words to express yourself is the mark of a unintelligent mind and a vocabulary that lacks substance, or so my junior year English teacher taught us. Having seen many of your other posts, I feel confident it's true in your case.

Quoting autodidact:

Quoting Anonymous:

If his autism was cured, she wouldn't have anything to get sympathy about.

I don't know why any parent wouldn't want their child to be healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN