Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Today my mom told me I was responsible for her and my dad's divorce.

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 88 Replies
I won't go into the full history of my life. But most recently (2 years ago) I was extremely sick after a back surgery I had. My mom came and stayed with me to help take care of me, DD, and DS while DH worked. In total she stayed for nine months and my dad visited several times. I never asked her to stay and I was always extremely thankful and expressed that all the time. After she went back home to my dad he said he wanted a divorce because he wasn't happy and didn't love her anymore. Fast forward a year to today and my mom said it was my fault they are getting a divorce because, "I stayed with you and took care of you when I should have been home taking care of my marriage." My parents have been married for 35 years, never had a good marriage, and have never been happy. If it hadn't been for the last year of pure nastiness from my mom, her accusation might have actually hurt. But I just can't get over the fact that she SAID it. What parent would ever say that? I've been racking my brain how a child (adult or otherwise) could EVER be the cause of a divorce. I called her out on it immediately that it wasn't true and it was her way of deflecting and avoiding responsibility for something else I had brought up to her.

But I'm curious...what are your thoughts? What is the worst thing your parent(s) have said to you?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VintageWife
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:10 AM
1 mom liked this

What a b*tch! Who says that to someone else?!?

ecerka
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:11 AM
1 mom liked this
Definitely wasn't your fault. But I have to ask Why She felt the need to stay that long? Maybe She wasn't happy are home either.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
she_walk_softly
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:13 AM

My mom said she wished she did not have kids,this was just a few years ago and I was a good kid. WTH lady?!?

sorry your mom said that to you.

abbie.alder
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:14 AM
My dad blamed me for my mom leaving him.I think its childish and I'm sorry your mom did that.
Oostera
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

That does suck, I'm sorry:( You 100% have it right, though, it's just deflecting.

My mother once told me, when I was 7, that she hoped I had food poisoning when I told her my tummy hurt. She also said I ruined her life by being born (not MY choice, lol). She told me she hated me and spit on me... my mom was not a nice person:/

balagan_imma
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM

Maybe what she really meant to say was that because she was taking care of you, your father realized how happy he was without her. And finally asked for the divorce. Or she is just a frightened child who needs to lash out. I'm sorry that she caused you pain. Sounds like something my mom would have said had her marriage lasted more than 3 years.

The worst thing my "mommy dearest" has said to me was that she wasted her life raising me. Still stings after 30 years.

.strawberry.
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I feel like she's mad at herself and the situation and looking for someone to blame to make herself feel better.
And it's not your fault. She made the choice to take care of you. You're her child, and your dads, too.
I think it's crazy fucked up that she said that. I'm sorry.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
That's crap. She probably lashing out and has decided to direct it at you instead of excepting her part in the ending of her marriage.
Do you talk to your dad? What does he say?
Mrs.Torres2566
by Mrs.T on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Saying something like that to your own child is ridiculous. What a bitch.

Jeckers
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM

My mom blames my brother for their being split up. It was my moms fault because she didn't take care of her marriage and was always taking care of her mom and dad. My dad was fed up with it. Sucks that they try to blame their kids because they won't take responsibility!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN