Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

F$%^ acceptance, I want the cure (for autism) *Update*

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM
  • 523 Replies
29 moms liked this

Poll

Question: Acceptance or Cure?

Options:

Acceptance

Cure

other

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 777

View Results

I'm a mom of three special needs children, and yes, one has autism. I know that April is Autism Awareness month. I won't be donning the blue ribbon or the puzzle ribbon. I won't buy any stickers for my car. I WANT THE CURE! 

I'm tired of everyone talking about "acceptance" this or that. I watch my son struggle to get out of the CAGE autism has him in, on a daily basis. And it breaks my heart. I love him, for better or worse, autism or not. I will love him regardless. But if there was something out there than could cause him to struggle less, is there was a "cure" I would take that over "acceptance".

If that makes me a bitch to you guys, so be it. I wish the whole damned thing didn't exist. Autism sucks for him (and for us) no matter what. I won't be lighting it up blue this year. I want the whole damned thing to just go away.

UPDATE: Even though we did not celebrate World Autism Day, Aidan said HE DID. Here was his message and gift to me:

We are struggling with heavy health issues in our family right now, and Aidan was also recently tested for MS and MD. I think autistic children understand things on such a deep level....he's only eight. #proudmama

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:17 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
33 moms liked this
Cure.

Can we have the cure to cancer too please?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Kerannmer
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:19 AM
20 moms liked this

I'm a little sad some days, but I don't know if I'd change anything about my daughter now...I love her just as she is, and she is the sunniest person I know. I just wish I could change the world around her, make it more accepting and easier for her.

samyee33
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM
9 moms liked this
Sorry hun I know how you feel. I wish a cure would be found as well, my little boy is on the spectrum and it's HARD. yes, acceptance would be great but a cure would be even better.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:20 AM
27 moms liked this

There probably is a cure, but our government won't allow it.  

3lilmonsters88
by Carolina Sky on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
26 moms liked this
I agree with you. I'm sick and tired of autism. I love my son to death and would walk through fire for him but I want my baby back. I want to be able to carry on a conversation with about his day. I want him to be able to take off his shoes without having a complete meltdown. I want to be able to take him to the park without him getting over stimulated. I WANT A FUCKING CURE.
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
4 moms liked this

Don't get me wrong. I do accept him- acceptance is great. And I love him no matter what. But yes, I want the cure. :)

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:21 AM
6 moms liked this
since there isnt a cure acceptance woild be nice but id take a cure we dont do ribnons or walks because only our closest family knows my ds has autism. and we will keep it that way as long as possible. he deserves to be treated like a normal child even if it means they think i am a bad mother for the way he acts...
divinedimension
by Not Miss Cleo on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't want to turn this into a debate about how he became autistic, but I just wanted to share this with you. One day, after a certain event (I'm sure you know what), he began to be delayed. He wouldn't make eye contact when nursing. He stopped talking. He stopped walking. He stopped potty training. He stopped smiling. It all just came to a halt. I want my baby back too!

Quoting 3lilmonsters88:

I agree with you. I'm sick and tired of autism. I love my son to death and would walk through fire for him but I want my baby back. I want to be able to carry on a conversation with about his day. I want him to be able to take off his shoes without having a complete meltdown. I want to be able to take him to the dark without him getting over stimulated. I WANT A FUCKING CURE.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:24 AM
3 moms liked this

autism does suck for me too. It's not as bad as a lot of moms have it, but it still hurts and it's still frustrating. 

Tal0n
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:25 AM
82 moms liked this

I can try to understand how you must feel, but I'm autistic and I don't want to be cured.  Someone asked me once if there were a cure, would I take it, and I asked her, what would I have to give up?

There's always side effects.  The side effects to the medication I take to manage my physical illnesses are massive and life-altering.  What would be the side effect of curing autism in me?  What would I gain?  What would I lose?

You can't change the way your brain is hardwired; it's far too much of what makes you who you are.  I am not a person with autism, I am autistic.  I was born that way, I'll die that way.  I'd much rather find a cure for cancer and the auto-immune disorders that plague my existence much more than being autistic does.

And I have an autistic child too.  And a niece and a brother.  (Not his daughter.)  Autism is a hard row to plow, in all its forms, but I don't wish myself non-autistic, nor my daughter.

But I understand why you want a cure.  So I'm not hating on you, or bashing, I promise.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured