Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

How to become a legal gaurdian

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:25 AM
  • 3 Replies
I want to become a gauirdian to my boyfriends daughter· I am her main caregiver she never sees her bio mom. My boyfriend works all week to support his family. I stay at home with our girls, however I am running into problems about not being a legal gaurdian. I cant even take her to basic need places and request sevices like the dentist, doc, counciling and any release of information. Boyfriend has full custody
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-3):
paganmommy4
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:30 AM

He needs to sign a document that states you can get basic care for his child. He needs to petition to the court to have her rights terminated and it really helps that you two would be married

http://www.wikihow.com/Become-a-Legal-Guardian

Momof2angels88
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:31 AM
You should just need a letter from your boyfriend stating that you have permission to take her to the appointments. I use to take a friends kids to the doctors all the time. Mom worked long hours and it was hard for her to get time off to take them, we called the offices and the said that was all we needed to do.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Hilary799
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:26 AM

Definitely a letter or something that says he gives you permission to take her to docs, dentists etc. If you lived in Georgia and bm hadn't made any contact or paid support in over 12 months, then you could adopt. In that lovely state, after 12 months, they cut all parental rights.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured