Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 128 Replies

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Aslen
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:26 AM
Never saw it before....
And it's used against autism awareness?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
HelloSweetie
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM
9 moms liked this

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:28 AM
1 mom liked this

Honestly, I hate checking my news feed on days like today.  Most of my family 'thinks" they are helping, but they are just blindly sharing all the misinformation!    What good does it do society if they share the wrong information, and further perpetuate the myths/misunderstandings?

An0nym0use
by Rock Lobster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:36 AM
1 mom liked this
This. "_______ awareness" doesn't really do anything for most things because people know. Things like "______ awareness" are just ways to do nothing, but still feel good, all while supporting so-called charities don't actually do what they claim. There are ways to actually make a difference, but "bringing awareness" to something everyone already knows about won't do anything.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:38 AM
Can anyone provide actual links and not vids showing their financials? I'm not being rude but am honestly curious. I can't find anything backing the vid up.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

That is weird. Because Blue is also for Child Abuse Awareness/Prevention. Also held for the month of April 

redhead-bedhead
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Bump
Kerannmer
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:43 AM

Yes, I am not an Autism Speaks supporter, either. 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM
3 moms liked this
I take that picture as "anti autism speaks" and not "Anti autism awareness", awareness is rarely a bad thing.

We did one walk for autism speaks and then I learned how little they do for families. Now we walk for the school my DD went to for 3 years, they put the money toward helping families like mine.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN