Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (11-20):
HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:50 AM

Exactly.

Quoting Anonymous:

I take that picture as "anti autism speaks" and not "Anti autism awareness", awareness is rarely a bad thing.

We did one walk for autism speaks and then I learned how little they do for families. Now we walk for the school my DD went to for 3 years, they put the money toward helping families like mine.

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:52 AM

Photos on my friends (autism moms) pages today

MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:54 AM

I'm not a big supporter of them, either (I'd rather help the families directly), but they spend over 20 million a year on autism research. That's their biggest program. I mean, people should know that their money is going to research instead of families, but research is good, too, isn't it?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM

What's the point?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:57 AM
Because they are idiots.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:58 AM
I went to a workshop the o other night and the speaker said she wishes April could be called autism action month instead of awareness.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:59 AM

I would think so... I just don't get why all the hate. Something is better than nothing. 

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm not a big supporter of them, either (I'd rather help the families directly), but they spend over 20 million a year on autism research. That's their biggest program. I mean, people should know that their money is going to research instead of families, but research is good, too, isn't it?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

briansmommy2010
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Just because somebody knows something exists doesn't mean they know anything about it. My MIL told me there is no way my son could be autistic because he makes eye contact. I would love to see people learn and get rid of stupid misconceptions.

Quoting An0nym0use:

This. "_______ awareness" doesn't really do anything for most things because people know. Things like "______ awareness" are just ways to do nothing, but still feel good, all while supporting so-called charities don't actually do what they claim. There are ways to actually make a difference, but "bringing awareness" to something everyone already knows about won't do anything.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

amiesmomma
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I think awareness has value no matter how much people already know about a topic.  The more we think about it, the less likely we are to make a comment about a child with Autism Spectrum Disorder like "He just needs discipline" or "she's weird."  

I know we all want to think we'd never say something like that, especially within earshot of our children, but it happens.  The more we see these things, the more cognizant we are of what we say about people with disabilities.

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:02 AM

The point of what?

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the point?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)