Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (121-128):
svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Autism awareness doesnt just mean knowing it exists. Ill believe the crappy not for profit lol however most people have no idea what autism really is...what it encompasses and what it is NOT. So awareness is crucial. Those who know all those questions ARE acting. There is more research done on autism than any other disability anymore

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
talkberry
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 3:55 AM
It is all ridiculous to act like this Awareness/ action whether you get money from a charity or it goes to research. If you need money then you probably qualify for your kids to get SSI unless you spend your money on other stuff. There are agencies v that help families and others that support research. Reach for me is the best use of funds. Awareness produces action. There are still many people that need to be educated. Just because my daughter is high functioning people say there is nothing wrong and say she is manipulative. ..etc
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:38 AM

Me not supporting AS has nothing to do with not getting money. I never expected them to give me a dime. I haven't received anything from AS and never asked them for anything, though I have worked to raise money for them for years.

The reason I stopped was because of what they do with the money and how they don't use it responsibly. Parents of children with Autism raise a great deal of their monies and work hard for them on a volunteer basis. They need to be very responsible with it and very mindful of what they are doing. They aren't. It takes such simple research to discover where huge amounts of their finances go (ridiculous salaries, offices that could cost so much less for the same thing, etc). There are organizations that are doing it right in the Autism world, and they are the ones I support. AS is not the only place out there.

Quoting Liyoness:

In BC, children (under 6 years old) with autism receive $22,000 of funding a year to pay for therapies, materials and training. I'm not sure why a family would directly want that money in their pocket....?

Quoting LiliM:This right here.

While I have not worked with AS specifcally I have worked with charities that fund raise. There are always people who feel the charity should just write a check.

The laws don't work that way. I am glad that AS works in insurance reform. That's a huge obstacle. One of the biggest for us.

Quoting momof6nokc: Autism Speaks is a good organization that promotes research, is working on insurance legislation, promotes awareness, has many GOOD educational products free of charge for parents and families, and puts an amazing amount of money into research. And no, I'm not particularly a fan of AS, but I do see the value in what they do. 
Light it up blue to promote awareness is fine.  In fact AWARENESS is a good thing. But awareness with no action is futile.  At some point we have to move away from the push toward awareness and we have to move quickly into ACTION.
If you want to give money to autism programs you might consider giving at your local or state level.  Many states have their own advocacy groups that work hard at the local level to provide programs for families affected by autism.  Look to those groups if you want your money to have an immediate and more personal impact.
VERY FEW groups give money directly to families.  There are IRS laws and regulations regarding that and it is very expensive to hire a panel to determine WHO would get the cash and for what purpose.  Most (all???) charitable groups stay away from giving cash to families and, instead, try to put programs in place.
If you don't want to Light It Up Blue then don't.  But it's kind of silly to be hostile about it.  There is already huge rifts in the autism community, why advertise it to everyone?

Batmansmamma
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:42 AM
http://goldenheartedrose.tumblr.com/post/17644810872/why-i-am-against-autism-speaks-and-you-should-be
Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:43 AM
Or, maybe they are speaking out against an organization that's not doing the best thing for our children and they would like to educate people on groups that are doing it better. Your choice, but it must stink to not be able to have a differing opinion because they will lose a friend. Oh well, your choice.
Quoting Dzyre1115:

What's immature is posting something like the photo above on Facebook not taking into consideration the feelings of those on your feed.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

You sound remarkably immature. I hope none of your "friends" ever feel slighted by AS or anything you "support" for fear of being rejected by someone they possibly care about.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Everyone has the right to say what they think, but there are consequences sometimes to speaking out against something.  I have the right not to have to deal with it!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Dzyre1115:
And people have the right to speak out as well. I have very strong opinions against Susan G Komen and I have let them be known. I have strong opinions against President Obama and let those be known as well.I have friends on Facebook who are strong Obama supporters and not one of them has ever deleted me because of our opposing views. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed.

nemo258
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:54 AM
As an autistic Mom to an autistic son what we are doing is educating not just awareness. We are posting tidbits from our life for the month about what autism is like and how it affects us. That does more than just a blue light on a porch
nemo258
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 9:01 AM
That not 100% true. Mitochondrial disease has been found in autistic folks and may be a cause

Quoting Anonymous:

It is NOT a disease. 

Quoting jojo_star:

I'm not! It's a disease that people need to be aware of and that we need to find a cure or prevention for. 

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 3, 2013 at 7:42 PM
Yes, it is my choice!
Quoting Anonymous:

Or, maybe they are speaking out against an organization that's not doing the best thing for our children and they would like to educate people on groups that are doing it better. Your choice, but it must stink to not be able to have a differing opinion because they will lose a friend. Oh well, your choice.
Quoting Dzyre1115:

What's immature is posting something like the photo above on Facebook not taking into consideration the feelings of those on your feed.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

You sound remarkably immature. I hope none of your "friends" ever feel slighted by AS or anything you "support" for fear of being rejected by someone they possibly care about.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Everyone has the right to say what they think, but there are consequences sometimes to speaking out against something.  I have the right not to have to deal with it!

Quoting Bethsunshine:

Quoting Dzyre1115:
And people have the right to speak out as well. I have very strong opinions against Susan G Komen and I have let them be known. I have strong opinions against President Obama and let those be known as well.I have friends on Facebook who are strong Obama supporters and not one of them has ever deleted me because of our opposing views. The world would be a boring place if we all agreed.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)