Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (21-30):
HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:04 AM

The animosity isn't against Autism AWARENESS. It's against Autism Speaks for taking in millions in revenue and donations and no actual assistance to families with Autism, yet 6 figure salaries and MILLION dollar parties.  1 in 50 kids- families needs HELP and answers and actual studies being conducted. But it's not happening.

Quoting Anonymous:

I would think so... I just don't get why all the hate. Something is better than nothing. 

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm not a big supporter of them, either (I'd rather help the families directly), but they spend over 20 million a year on autism research. That's their biggest program. I mean, people should know that their money is going to research instead of families, but research is good, too, isn't it?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

Of the video. Throwing some numbers around doesn't really prove anything. 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

The point of what?

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the point?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:05 AM

yes its better than nothing. I'm all for research. Prevention research also.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm not a big supporter of them, either (I'd rather help the families directly), but they spend over 20 million a year on autism research. That's their biggest program. I mean, people should know that their money is going to research instead of families, but research is good, too, isn't it?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:07 AM

When talking about MONEY and where the charity money goes, the numbers matter. (IMO)

Quoting Anonymous:

Of the video. Throwing some numbers around doesn't really prove anything. 

Quoting HelloSweetie:

The point of what?

Quoting Anonymous:

What's the point?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

If I'm understanding correctly, then, it seems as though at times it's not made clear that the money won't be going directly to families, but to research. Is that the problem many people have with Autism Speaks?

Honestly, I'd put that responsibility on the people who don't do research on the companies they're giving their money to, though. People should look more into the companies they're supporting instead of just throwing money at a commercial. <~~ Not directed at you. I'm sort of venting. lol

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:10 AM

Everyone is "aware" of autism so days like today are just annoying. No one wants to go on facebook and put up with the long rants and arguements from both sides. 

A_McCool
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:11 AM

I won't be Lighting It Up Blue.  I'll be Toning it Down Taupe.  

http://timetolisten.blogspot.com/2013/03/tone-it-down-taupe-this-april.html

adhaodd1child
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:13 AM

Oh hell no who ever posted that would be getting an ear full from me and then I would unfriend them and probarly block them. I wouldnt give to right shits who they are.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

Bring on the hate. I'm against autism awareness. I think it is time for autism action - if your kid is mildly autistic, take action to control your child. "My child has autism" is not a free pass for your child to run wild. 

HelloSweetie
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:17 AM

I think the issue is more the way AS spends the "Charity" money- on elaborate parties that don't make back any fundraising money, on high salaries, on very expensive corporate offices- when a lot of that money could be DIRECTLY helping families.

At one point, AS actually LOST "charity" status because the influx of money was out of "charitable" sync with what was given out for assistance of any kind. They got it back quickly though. It just seems to me, to be basically the most well known charity for one of the biggest epidemics we face- to exsist that close to the edge of being an actual charity- it's not right. Millions and millions of dollars available to them and not much of it makes it way past the extravagant business lives they've created.

I think TACA and NAA are better charities, IMHO

Quoting MamaRae85:

If I'm understanding correctly, then, it seems as though at times it's not made clear that the money won't be going directly to families, but to research. Is that the problem many people have with Autism Speaks?

Honestly, I'd put that responsibility on the people who don't do research on the companies they're giving their money to, though. People should look more into the companies they're supporting instead of just throwing money at a commercial. <~~ Not directed at you. I'm sort of venting. lol

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Quoting MamaRae85:

Quoting HelloSweetie:

Video sums it up

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)