Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (31-40):
momof6nokc
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Autism Speaks is a good organization that promotes research, is working on insurance legislation, promotes awareness, has many GOOD educational products free of charge for parents and families, and puts an amazing amount of money into research. And no, I'm not particularly a fan of AS, but I do see the value in what they do. 

Light it up blue to promote awareness is fine.  In fact AWARENESS is a good thing. But awareness with no action is futile.  At some point we have to move away from the push toward awareness and we have to move quickly into ACTION.

If you want to give money to autism programs you might consider giving at your local or state level.  Many states have their own advocacy groups that work hard at the local level to provide programs for families affected by autism.  Look to those groups if you want your money to have an immediate and more personal impact.

VERY FEW groups give money directly to families.  There are IRS laws and regulations regarding that and it is very expensive to hire a panel to determine WHO would get the cash and for what purpose.  Most (all???) charitable groups stay away from giving cash to families and, instead, try to put programs in place.

If you don't want to Light It Up Blue then don't.  But it's kind of silly to be hostile about it.  There is already huge rifts in the autism community, why advertise it to everyone?

**Just call me Stuart**

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:48 AM
1 mom liked this
I'm amazed that you said that, that's probably the most honest response I have heard. Its sad but I honestly believe some mothers just promote autism awareness to say ''look at me, my child has autism and im proud an I'm handling it well.'' NOT that anyone would choose this on their child or think its cool... But I see so many mothers putting up incorrect information just to ''look'' involved when in all actuality they are not involved, don't do any necessary therapy and don't bother to do proper research before opening their mouths and misinforming ppl that they think don't know the truth, or loading their cars and fb pages with autism speaks stickers... Its a little annoying

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Honestly, I hate checking my news feed on days like today.  Most of my family 'thinks" they are helping, but they are just blindly sharing all the misinformation!    What good does it do society if they share the wrong information, and further perpetuate the myths/misunderstandings?

Mrs.Kubalabuku
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:51 AM

We don't even have an autistic child in the family.  They are all 100% ignorant.  The only reason I know so much is I ask honest questions and get honest answers from the Moms on here who actually help educate.

I know what you mean, though.  So many people are like "Hey, a cause!"  Promote the crap out of it with ZERO research, then jump on the next bandwagon and brain-dump anything they might have learned, or walk away with the wrong "facts" because they never looked deeper than the "share" button.

Quoting Anonymous:

I'm amazed that you said that, that's probably the most honest response I have heard. Its sad but I honestly believe some mothers just promote autism awareness to say ''look at me, my child has autism and im proud an I'm handling it well.'' NOT that anyone would choose this on their child or think its cool... But I see so many mothers putting up incorrect information just to ''look'' involved when in all actuality they are not involved, don't do any necessary therapy and don't bother to do proper research before opening their mouths and misinforming ppl that they think don't know the truth, or loading their cars and fb pages with autism speaks stickers... Its a little annoying

Quoting Mrs.Kubalabuku:

Honestly, I hate checking my news feed on days like today.  Most of my family 'thinks" they are helping, but they are just blindly sharing all the misinformation!    What good does it do society if they share the wrong information, and further perpetuate the myths/misunderstandings?

AnnLanders
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:57 AM
1 mom liked this
Well said. I feel the very same way about the Susan G. Komen Foundation. - >A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism. Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.
sweetmelissa777
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:58 AM
I support autism awareness, not Autism Speaks.I am lighting it up blue.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
angelachristine
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't support autism speaks but I do support autism awareness so I'll probably post about autism to raise awareness but not light it up blue or anything with the autism speaks logo on it. I don't want to support autism speaks in any way.

It's Cassandra Cat! 

MamaRae85
by *you're on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:44 AM

This makes sense. Thanks for answering. =)

Quoting HelloSweetie:

I think the issue is more the way AS spends the "Charity" money- on elaborate parties that don't make back any fundraising money, on high salaries, on very expensive corporate offices- when a lot of that money could be DIRECTLY helping families.

At one point, AS actually LOST "charity" status because the influx of money was out of "charitable" sync with what was given out for assistance of any kind. They got it back quickly though. It just seems to me, to be basically the most well known charity for one of the biggest epidemics we face- to exsist that close to the edge of being an actual charity- it's not right. Millions and millions of dollars available to them and not much of it makes it way past the extravagant business lives they've created.

I think TACA and NAA are better charities, IMHO

Quoting MamaRae85:

If I'm understanding correctly, then, it seems as though at times it's not made clear that the money won't be going directly to families, but to research. Is that the problem many people have with Autism Speaks?

Honestly, I'd put that responsibility on the people who don't do research on the companies they're giving their money to, though. People should look more into the companies they're supporting instead of just throwing money at a commercial. <~~ Not directed at you. I'm sort of venting. lol

Quoting HelloSweetie:

yes its better than nothing. I'm all for research. Prevention research also.

Quoting MamaRae85:

I'm not a big supporter of them, either (I'd rather help the families directly), but they spend over 20 million a year on autism research. That's their biggest program. I mean, people should know that their money is going to research instead of families, but research is good, too, isn't it?

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

HelloSweetie
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:47 AM

Your siggy made me laugh so hard

Quoting angelachristine:

jas_momof2
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:49 AM

People are stupid

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:40 AM

Quoting An0nym0use:

This. "_______ awareness" doesn't really do anything for most things because people know. Things like "______ awareness" are just ways to do nothing, but still feel good, all while supporting so-called charities don't actually do what they claim. There are ways to actually make a difference, but "bringing awareness" to something everyone already knows about won't do anything.

Quoting HelloSweetie:

A lot of us Autism moms are against Autism Speaks because the accept charity money and none of it goes to HELPING families of Autism.

Also- EVERYONE is aware of Autism. Its time for action. Its time to actually do something about it. Nothing about lighting a porch blue HELPS anyone.

Video sums it up

THANK YOU!! I made a similar post about the whole Joseph Kony thing last year because it was so ridiculous that people thought they were actually doing something and making a difference by sharing a video.I guarantee you if I asked all those people about it now, they'd say "Kony who?" People like to get warm fuzzy feelings inside.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN