Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Against Autism Awareness?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

I've seen this on my fb feed... 

Why are some against lighting it up blue?

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:24 AM
Replies (41-50):
Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:42 AM
I don't support most causes in the 1st place.
Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:44 AM

Quoting Anonymous:

I don't support most causes in the 1st place.

Neither do I because very little, if any money, actually goes to help those who need it. It's all about marketing.

Dzyre1115
by Desiree` on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:45 AM

I see the blue as a sign of support and recognition to the families that deal with it everyday.  So if a person is against showing support to Autism patients and their families then I would simply disown that person because they would not be in support of me and my family.

Bethsunshine
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Dzyre1115:

I see the blue as a sign of support and recognition to the families that deal with it everyday.  So if a person is against showing support to Autism patients and their families then I would simply disown that person because they would not be in support of me and my family.

But not everyone sees the blue as a sign of support, including some autism moms. I think you would know by now who is truly supportive of your family and who isn't and one little picture shouldn't make a difference. If someone isn't supportive, you wouldn't have them in your life anyway.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM
So because your child is more autisic than those with "mild autism" or who are high functioning they just need discipline?I just want to be sure that's what you mean before I call you an gnorant ass.

Quoting Anonymous:

Bring on the hate. I'm against autism awareness. I think it is time for autism action - if your kid is mildly autistic, take action to control your child. "My child has autism" is not a free pass for your child to run wild. 

ihave1
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:58 PM

I'm against light bulbs too, they suck.    lol 

Anyway this is the symbol for Autism?  I never new

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:07 PM
1 mom liked this

You would disown a friend or family because they don't support one single organization out there that helps children with Autism? That's very short sighted, especially if you ask them WHY they don't. I have yet to meet someone in the Autism community that doesn't support Autism Speaks without a very good reason. I have a very good reason why I won't support them or show signs of support for them. I am also an Autism parent. I support Autism organizations, just not AS.

Quoting Dzyre1115:

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:11 PM

On April 2nd, it is World Autism Awareness day and people light blue bulbs for awareness . 

Quoting ihave1:

I'm against light bulbs too, they suck.    lol 

Anyway this is the symbol for Autism?  I never new

slashteddy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM
Idk who "sponsors" autism awareness, but I'm against the group Autism Speaks.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

That is who sponsors the Light it up Blue campaign. I think it is still okay to light it up blue for awareness even if you don't send money to that group. 

Quoting slashteddy:

Idk who "sponsors" autism awareness, but I'm against the group Autism Speaks.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN