Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (11-20):
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM
6 moms liked this

No, I don't find it offensive unless it is meant condescendingly. I figure if God (or Jesus, if you prefer) is letting kids get raped, letting them get cancer and other horrific diseases, allowing genocide and other atrocities, is okay with the systematic destruction of earth, and could stop it all but doesn't, well, one more ineffectual prayer isn't going to make a difference.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM
Understood

Quoting Sekirei:

If the person did not ask for the prayer.. it can be. Like I said, not every path believes this. I personally think the ones that pray we find their god to be acts of aggression. 

the situtation you presented, no, I do not see it that way. I may not appreciate the prayer, but I appreciate the sentiment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So if someone says" I will pray that you find peace in (whatever) situation, or that you can find the strength to deal with it, that's aggression or interference?

Quoting Sekirei:

It can be seen as an attempt to affect someone's free will. Depending on the path (not all view it that way) it can be seen as an act of aggression. 

Then, it is most of the time condescending. Then again, praying someone goes to their deity is trying to affect free will.

blues_pagan
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:16 AM
As a pagan it offends me because that is crossing a personal boundary. My body is mine and is given to those I choose to give it to. For you to pray for me to another deity in any capacity violates my space as a spiritual being.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
IandLoveandYou
by Penny Lane on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:17 AM
4 moms liked this
Only if they say it with contempt (like many of the rude women I've met on here).

My parents, their friends...when they say it I know they mean "you're in our thoughts, I hope things will get better for you".. They mean it in the nicest possible way, so of course I am not offended :).

I don't know if it's because of where I live(NY), but Christians around here don't act like some of the Christians on here. The only time I've heard nonsense that I hear on CM in real life is when my DFs grandmother came to visit from AZ. She said that she was sad to learn that our friend was gay because "he's so nice, it's too bad he's going to end up in hell." I think my jaw literally fell to the floor right in front of her lol.

peanutsmommy1
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
3 moms liked this

It depends on the context

if it is an "I'll pray for you" because of an illness/situation etc no

if it is an "I'll prat for you" because I believe your soul is condemened to hell (which I don't believe in) then possibly

Stephd710
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
3 moms liked this

It doesnt offend me but i am secretly rolling my eyes on the inside. I just say thanks. 

LntLckrsCmQut
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:18 AM
2 moms liked this

No, it doesn't offend me. It does make me laugh, however.

doomshroom
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:19 AM
3 moms liked this
It doesn't offend me. It's like saying "you're in my thoughts."

Unless someone says it like "You're going to hell, I'll pray for you, you'll need it." That's incredibly rude.

The funny thing about prayer is that it's intended to help the person you're praying for, but it's really just helping the person who's praying to feel like they're doing something to help. And that's ok. Whatever works.
ausomezombie2.0
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM

this.

Quoting Stephd710:

It doesnt offend me but i am secretly rolling my eyes on the inside. I just say thanks. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 4 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:20 AM
2 moms liked this
That's stupid.

Quoting Sekirei:

It can be seen as an attempt to affect someone's free will. Depending on the path (not all view it that way) it can be seen as an act of aggression. 

Then, it is most of the time condescending. Then again, praying someone goes to their deity is trying to affect free will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)