Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (21-30):
Aislin
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Not at all. It only bothers me when a Christian uses their prayer as a weapon. Its a bit distasteful to me and I doubt their God appriciates it. However, sincere prayer is always welcomed.

Sekirei
by LoKitty on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM

Why? 

Quoting Anonymous:

That's stupid.

Quoting Sekirei:

It can be seen as an attempt to affect someone's free will. Depending on the path (not all view it that way) it can be seen as an act of aggression. 

Then, it is most of the time condescending. Then again, praying someone goes to their deity is trying to affect free will.

anotherhalf
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
4 moms liked this
I'm not offended at all. Prayer is appreciated. I think it is one of many ways to send positive energy and that on some level it does help.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
nerdymom28
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
1 mom liked this

It doesn't offend me. It bugs me when they ask me to pray for them though, specifically when they know that I'm atheist. They're asking me to go against my beliefs, simply because they don't understand them. I don't pray, I will not pray for you. If you want to pray for me, knock yourself out but you're wasting your time.

Char-Bear
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:23 AM
Nah doesn't bug me, it doesn't really mean much but the sentiment is nice.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
AnnieGoolaheey
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:24 AM

It doesn't offend me if they are being sincere.  

JanuaryBaby06
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:27 AM
1 mom liked this
Nope not in the slightest. I believe in noetic science. Praying is a great thing. I reflect and kinda like meditate when I need to. I believe thoughts can be a powerful thing. It helps.
jessi2girls
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:28 AM
5 moms liked this

All depends on how it's said and what it's in referance too.

For example.. if I simply am having a conversation and someone, say, brings up God/Jesus, and I comment that I'm not Christian or my beliefs are actually ___, and they say "I'll pray for you".. that is offensive.  It implies that I don't know enough about God/Jesus, that I'm simple minded and something must be wrong with me because I don't share your beliefs! 

If I'm just going through a hard time.. like for example when my Papa died, and they are just trying to be comforting and don't know my beliefs, or for a second forget that I don't share their beliefs.. then no, it's not offensive, they are just trying to offer a shoulder in a way that they know how, and I thank them for trying to be kind and over look it.  

LilyofPhilly
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:29 AM
That's pretty much how I feel.

Quoting AquariusFemale9:

I think it's a nice sentiment, but to me it's synonymous with lighting a candle for you...a nice gesture that accomplishes nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM
4 moms liked this
What she said is not stupid, it was clear and heartfelt. She answered my question directly and kindly. Someone's personal feelings are not stupid.

Quoting Anonymous:

That's stupid.

Quoting Sekirei:

It can be seen as an attempt to affect someone's free will. Depending on the path (not all view it that way) it can be seen as an act of aggression. 

Then, it is most of the time condescending. Then again, praying someone goes to their deity is trying to affect free will.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured