Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (31-40):
mama91605
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:30 AM

Offend me, no.  I find it pointless.  However if that is how they want to show they care then if have no problem with it.

mama91605
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:32 AM

Agreed

Quoting jessi2girls:

All depends on how it's said and what it's in referance too.

For example.. if I simply am having a conversation and someone, say, brings up God/Jesus, and I comment that I'm not Christian or my beliefs are actually ___, and they say "I'll pray for you".. that is offensive.  It implies that I don't know enough about God/Jesus, that I'm simple minded and something must be wrong with me because I don't share your beliefs! 

If I'm just going through a hard time.. like for example when my Papa died, and they are just trying to be comforting and don't know my beliefs, or for a second forget that I don't share their beliefs.. then no, it's not offensive, they are just trying to offer a shoulder in a way that they know how, and I thank them for trying to be kind and over look it.  

HollieMariex3
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:35 AM
I really don't mind if someone says that to me, unless of course it's meant in a condescending manner. ("THOSE are your beliefs?! Ill pray that you get saved." Will piss me off.) If something is going on with me, it doesn't offend me if someone cares to send positive vibes my way, no matter which way they do it.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 5 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:07 AM

This

Quoting peanutsmommy1:

It depends on the context

if it is an "I'll pray for you" because of an illness/situation etc no

if it is an "I'll prat for you" because I believe your soul is condemened to hell (which I don't believe in) then possibly

BeAmour
by Tonya on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:09 AM
1 mom liked this
It bothers me because a lot of times it's used as a snarky come back. Another reason the term bothers me is because 99% of the time, you know good and well they will forget about it completely. When I see, "I'll pray for you", I want to reach out and smack someone and yell, "LIAR! No you won't". I think it bothers me because it's just another hypocrisy that I see within the faith. I'm not saying this is true for all people but in my personal experience, the latter has been the case.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
NiamhWitch
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:12 AM
3 moms liked this

If they are sending positive energy to me and not doing it in a "saving my soul" kind of way, then I am very appreciative.

I may not believe in their god, but I do believe in the power of positive energy and directed thought.  So it's very much appreciated.

When someone else is going through a hard time, I usually tell them that I am sending them positive energy.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:13 AM
No it doesn't offended me
KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

No, it doesn't bother me.

It's nice to know that myself or my family will be in someone's thoughts.

It just means they care.

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

alexsmomma06
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:19 AM
11 moms liked this

I'm Christian, but if someone of any religion said they would pray for me, chant for me, etc; I would say thank you and be glad that someone cared enough to do that.

People get offeneded to easily these days

momto2boys973
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:20 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't believe in Jesus, I sincerely thank any good thoughts- regardless of how they're given- as I appreciate the intention. If a person takes the time to pray for me, why would I be offended?
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)