Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (341-350):
Lanesmommy26
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:19 AM
I am of a different faith then Christianity, but I an always happy, appreciative and accepting of any type of faith prayers when they are offered. I would never seek it out, like asking others to pray fir me, but i am very happy to accept prayers
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SaraCate
by Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:38 AM

For what it's worth, my DH always asks if it's okay with whoever if he includes them in his prayers. (In our social circle are a diverse range of faith practices/lack thereof.)

Caspriel
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:41 AM
I don't care if they say that,but I am willing to bet they really don't.
Stacipr
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:44 AM

I'm Buddhist and my husband is Athiest.  If meant as a gesture of support and love, I never mind.  In return I will say I "keep them in my thoughts".  However, I've had the phrase thrown at me like an insult after a disagreement or when some discovers I'm not Christian.  That just makes me sad as it taints what should be an act of love and kindness.

Mistygirl
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:54 AM

does not offend me at all that someone is thinking enough of me to want to make sure I am alright.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 55 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:03 AM

You can believe that God does not like people to try to use Him as a weapon.

Dude does what He wants pretty much.

Quoting Aislin:

Not at all. It only bothers me when a Christian uses their prayer as a weapon. Its a bit distasteful to me and I doubt their God appriciates it. However, sincere prayer is always welcomed.

Behindthelense
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:05 AM
It doesn't bother me. If I need help in something, I'll take thoughts and prayers from any religion.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kalikala154
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:06 AM

It is irritating but I understand that it is in good nature.  I usually say thanks and move on with the conversation.  

Megan11587
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:18 AM
It doesn't offend me. I do know someone who is not religious that it does offend.
CreamCheeze
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:24 AM

When I was an agnostic, I wasn't offended (except when, like others have said, they were condescending).

When I became a "Completed Jew" (Messianic) I remembered how it felt when I didn't believe, to have a believer say they were going to pray for me. And usually, unless I know for sure that they believe in Yeshua as Messiah, I don't tell them I will pray for them, I just do it.

FWIW, I don't hang out with many Xtians because, as my picture helps to proclaim, I'm pro-choice on everything, and I don't see any point in arguing with people whose minds are already made up in spite of the message my Savior brought.
These types of people, instead of being Christ-like and showing people why they might want to be a Christian, they instead push people away.

One of the greatest two Commandments are to treat people as you wish to be treated. And if you didn't know that, you'd never guess it the way too many Xtian's act toward others.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN