Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (351-360):
ForeverInLove
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:30 AM
Nope. Why should it? They are doing what they honestly feel is the best they can do for you, just as my thoughts and energies are almost the best I can do. I say almost, because I could open a circle and cast a spell to help, but I have three kids and haven't opened a circle since my oldest was immobile. Now that they are mobile, I can't risk them breaking the circle, so I simply don't. Breaking a circle can cause harm.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 49 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:48 AM

You missed the point completely... are you sure you're not my father in law?   I didn't say our pastor was BETTER.  We put our tithing (+ much more) money into our community projects for the poor, purchasing medical equipment for those who can't afford it other wise - rather than paying a salary staff, a large beautiful EXPENSIVE church, and all the costs that go along with traditional churches.  We feel strongly about living the way Jesus wanted us too - to love the poor, sick and down-trodden.  And our pastor went thru extensive schooling too - but he has a job outside the church that supports his family, pays of his thousands and thousands of student loans, and still serves his congregation.   Its what he feels is the right thing to do.   Not only do we all tithe, donate additional funds, but we spend our time in the community serving others.  When I see a big beautiful church, I see wasted money, vanity, and pride.  Its all so unnecessary.  Our church is held in a highschool.  We pay very little to use the space, and donate our time extensively at the school and to its students.  Almost all of our tithing goes to serving those outside our church.  

Quoting Anonymous:

You are saying others can be really condescending and backhanded with their religion yet your bashing Christianity, their structure, and somehow your "pastor" is better because he doesn't get paid ? Hmmm hipocrit ? You don't want to be judged but this post wreaks of judgement. A lot of members of structured religions go through extensive schooling in which I'm sure it's not just to "get paid" since the pay isn't even good. Great for attending small gatherings, whatever works for you & your family but not to sure what's wrong with the word "church" though.

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes.  It can come out really condescending and backhanded.   We are permanently on FILs prayer board because we are "backslidden".  Um... no... we just disagree with the Christian Conservative Right and we do not want those people influencing our children.  We aren't blackslidden, we just reject a formal chuch with a paid pastor preaching political propaganda while we tithe to support him.  We attend a small gathering meeting (we dont like the word "church") where our pastor has a full time job that supports his family and leads us because its his calling not his "job"

Freela
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 8:49 AM

No, I'm not offended, if someone is sincerely offering up a prayer for my wellbeing and isn't said condescendingly. I'm never going to be offended by a gesture offered in kindness.

renner450
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:05 AM
Depends on the person. I have mostly Christian friends, when they say they will pray for me I know they care and are concerned and since they are unable to do anything else they resort to what they know/believe. Now when my cousin says it she is just being a bitch. She is what I call a Facebook Christian. She only does/says things like that on fb. Her own husband didn't know she was religious till he saw what she posts on fb.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
bad_mama2011
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:13 AM

My Mom has chemically sensitive asthma, she has to wear a respirator mask when she goes out in public sometimes, and on more than one occasion someone has come up to her asking if they can pray for her, she doesn't mind that, but then they try to lay hands on her to "heal" her and she tells them not to touch her. We're Christian too, but we're not under the delusion we can heal anyone.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 56 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:20 AM
1 mom liked this

Well... I've had people tell me that before - and it wasn't in a nice way - it was because I disagreed with them  - so yes, I do take offense.  Praying that I change my mind is condescending, rude, arrogant....  

Aislin
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 9:35 AM

LOL of course I can believe it. I'm sure he/she/it does what he/she/it wants. I would to if I was in that position. 

Quoting Anonymous:

You can believe that God does not like people to try to use Him as a weapon.

Dude does what He wants pretty much.

Quoting Aislin:

Not at all. It only bothers me when a Christian uses their prayer as a weapon. Its a bit distasteful to me and I doubt their God appriciates it. However, sincere prayer is always welcomed.

Basherte
by Gold Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:33 AM

It doesn't offend me at all. Praying is what they do. 

I send healing energies and light candles. 

If someone says that they will pray for my soul... I usually laugh. 

CafeMom Tickers
Caryss_mommy
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:47 AM
1 mom liked this

Yes, it does. It makes me feel uncomfortable. Often times I just roll my eyes in my head because it reminds me how brainwashed some people are and how far we've still got to go as a society when it comes to establishing logic and critical thinking. Also because I know praying's not going to work because there's no one listening. It's just some age old, man made fairytale supported by nothing. Just some old book. I still respect them, though. I don't call them out on it. I'd never try to convert them away from it or argue. Besides, reasoning with a bible-goer is absolutely impossible and not worth the time.

If the wind will not serve, take to the oars.

SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:49 AM

I can appreciate the sentiment, but honestly it's slightly annoying.  Only slightly.  If it's for something really dire I definitely appreciate it, but more often than not I get that comment for something quite trivial and I think "Don't waste your prayers on my stupid problem, pray for starving children or something!"

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)