Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (361-370):
SunshneDaydream
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 10:54 AM

Yes, we are permantly on my FIL's prayer list because we're "nonbelievers".  Not sure if he realizes that we actually do believe in God, just disagree with Christianity, but it bugs me that it really tortures him that we "won't be together in heaven" or whatever.  Why can't he just appreciate our own interpretation of God and be thankful that we have spirituality.  Why is he right and we're wrong?  

Quoting Anonymous:

Sometimes.  I can come out really condescending and backhanded.   We are permanently on FILs prayer board because we are "backslidden".  Um... no... we just disagree with the Christian Conservative Right and we do not want those people influencing our children.  We aren't blackslidden, we just reject a formal chuch with a paid pastor preaching political propaganda while we tithe to support him.  We attend a small gathering meeting (we dont like the word "church") where our pastor has a full time job that supports his family and leads us because its his calling not his "job"

damarisk
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 11:44 AM

I am a Cristian. Usually I won't say something like that unless I know it will be taken positively. But if I feel that The person would benefit from it I would say a small pray in their name without mentioning it. You don't have to tell anyone for it to help. Though God is usually their for you whether you believe or not in your hour of need.

AuntTeen
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 1:26 PM

I recently spoke with a lady at the Medicare office to get my husband a new MC card after he fell and got his card wet, ruining it.  We talked about his health and how he has been falling a lot.  She was so nice and after our business was completed, before she hung up she said "I'm going to pray for him."  That excited and pleased me.  I'm a Christian and so is my husband.  We are always pleased when someone says they will pray for us.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 41 on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:36 PM
Quoting davnrori:

Well believers know that a few years or moments of suffering (that they won't remember in Heaven) is nothing compared to eternity....so..

Although no one wants a child or another person to suffer.. It is inevitable in a society of sick and mean people.

But different strokes for different folks. :]
davnrori
by Platinum Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 2:41 PM

That's true. I find it more comforting to think that sick people are a product of biological, genetic, and societal error, rather than the product of a supposedly benevolent omnipotent being who needs me to be scared into worshipping it.

Quoting Anonymous:

Quoting davnrori:

Well believers know that a few years or moments of suffering (that they won't remember in Heaven) is nothing compared to eternity....so..

Although no one wants a child or another person to suffer.. It is inevitable in a society of sick and mean people.

But different strokes for different folks. :]

delaineinMN
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:18 PM

This is how people usually start to try to talk me back into the church. What they can't admit is that I have learned from the mistakes and pain and am not a glutton for punishment. Which in my book, is a very good reason to not return to a church environment, where spiritual pride abounds and people are trying to out Christian each other. No I don't even want to take the chance that I will be hurt again or my kids in the first place, the idea of heaven isn't worth the risk of abuse. 

celestegood
by Ruby Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:23 PM
I always appreciate it. Once upon a time, my son was extremely close to death and critical. He almost died and his doctors have said that he should have, based on what his health issues and physical problems were.
A very close family member offered to pray for him and she is one who will pray every hour on the hour for you if she says she will. When your child might die, you take every prayer you can get.
He lived and I don't doubt that her prayers helped. I'm thankful for every prayer said for my son.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
delaineinMN
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 3:28 PM

In my adoptive dad's church, I have been on the "unsaved" list for years. I used to be on the backslidden list, and that was when my family would invite me to spend time with them and were very two facedly kind because they thought they could get me back into their prison. 

When I was a kid, they always said that everyone who wasn't saved was disease ridden and miserable, but when I left, I realized the whole world isn't that way, and the most unhappy people I have ever known were the people in my dad's cult.  So then they started trying to guilt me saying god was going to cause someone I cared about ( or my kids once I had some) to die or be deathly ill so I would hit "rock bottom" and come back to them. They kept saying that for a few years, and now when I come to funerals, they say its possible for some people to live happy and fulfilling lives without god, but will suffer in eternity. I'm more than willing to take my chances. They can't seem to leave me be though. I got a church filer in the mail from a friend who lives on the same block as that church, and they had a competition with certain former members as targets and whoever could witness to them or get them back into church got points. I am not kidding. Its despicable. I was the top name on the list. I am also the only kid out of 10 that isn't wrapped up entirely in my dad's church. 

My experience is of pure control and abuse for my parent's selfish needs. I have a hard time seeing any Christian as anything but that, and I do try. However, anyone that I know has contact with my family or their denomination of churches will get a cold shoulder from me. Because they usually are just trying to play a game like I described above, or are fishing for information.

http://religionscell.wordpress.com/delaines-buhrows-story/

kswyo
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:29 PM
I almost always consider it a nice gesture, my equivalent is to say I'll think of them or that they'll be in my thoughts. To me these mean the same thing.
Sometimes it upsets me for a couple reasons; 1 if you're going to pray there are certainly more important things to pray about than me. 2 sometimes people use prayer to get out of actually DOING something and 3 some people say it with hate rather than love.
mystearica
by Bronze Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:06 PM

No it doesn't offend me, because prayer is a thought, so they are essentially thinking of me, and hoping for something to good to come from the dark, basically wishing for it, like anyone else would. I just find it akward cuz most think I'm going to hell for not believing in jesus.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)