Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (41-50):
Kage336
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:21 AM

This, exactly.

Quoting AquariusFemale9:

I think it's a nice sentiment, but to me it's synonymous with lighting a candle for you...a nice gesture that accomplishes nothing.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:22 AM
It doesn't bother me. The gesture is nice.
LucyMom08
by BS Intolerant on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
2 moms liked this

It depends on what they are praying about...If I'm going through something, or need help, and a friend offers to pray, I feel grateful that they care enough about me to want to help...even though it doesn't mean anything tangible to me...

Then again, if it's a good friend, and that's ALL they do, then it would bother me...

If some person tells me they are praying for me to find Jesus, or something else that is meant in a condescending way, yes, it's offensive...

..MoonShine..
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

All depends on the attitude that comes with it. 

krystaldawn_21
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:27 AM

No it doesn't offend me. I like to let people feel like they are doing something good. Why take that away?

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:28 AM
2 moms liked this
Keep praying and don't worry about offending people. If they are offended then maybe they need a bad spirit rebuked out of them. Someone in my family is a witch and she doesn't like for me to pray for her. It's because she is close to the devil and she puts spells on people. She won't even go in a church. We live in a free country and NOBODY has the right to act like you can't pray. Just as my family member has the freedom to be a witch, we have the freedom to be Christians.
Many times people see God as a figure of authority or parental figure, so if their parents betrayed them they may not believe in God. Many people were attacked by the devil when they were
children in an attempt wound their souls, so they loose faith in God. The key is to use the wisdom of those wounds to heal and help other people who suffer from the same types of pain.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 9 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM
Kind of because I don't believe their BULLSHIT.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Kitschy
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM

It's only offensive if they are praying I find Jesus.

psych_mom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

This is why I always ask someone if I can pray for them if I do not know their belief system.

Quoting Sekirei:

If the person did not ask for the prayer.. it can be. Like I said, not every path believes this. I personally think the ones that pray we find their god to be acts of aggression. 

the situtation you presented, no, I do not see it that way. I may not appreciate the prayer, but I appreciate the sentiment. 

Quoting Anonymous:

So if someone says" I will pray that you find peace in (whatever) situation, or that you can find the strength to deal with it, that's aggression or interference?

Quoting Sekirei:

It can be seen as an attempt to affect someone's free will. Depending on the path (not all view it that way) it can be seen as an act of aggression. 

Then, it is most of the time condescending. Then again, praying someone goes to their deity is trying to affect free will.

MamaPrime
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:42 AM

I think it speaks more of the person when they actually try to help or even lend their time to listen than for someone to just say "i will pray for you". Part of me doubts it everytime I hear it. Really? You are going to and pray for me? I know some Christians who say that like 10 times a day. Do they pray for each of those 10 people? Do they make a list of all the people they said they would pray for? Do they take it with them to their bedside or to church to pray? 

If they actually do it and actually mean it and there is no other way for them to help you then no, I would never take offense because it is a very sweet gesture and if you can put in a request to your god for someone in need then uber kudos. But if you are just saying it because you feel bad and don't have any insight into the situation, maybe you should start with being compassionate first and worry about praying later. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)