Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (51-60):
chefmartha
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this

I have no problem with people praying for me. The more the merrier when those time come along.

I am a Christian, however I am not practicing right now (as in going to church each Sunday). We have family members and friends who are parts of different denominations and even different religions. Whenever we have been told we were being prayed for, we have simply thanked the person who was offering the prayers because the more positive thoughts we have in times of need, the more likely we are to get through it.

PaperClip811
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:48 AM
1 mom liked this

No, as long as it isnt said in a condescending manner, I appreciate the sentiment, even though I dont believe in the effectiveness.

AllofFive19
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:49 AM

I don't get offended if someone wants to pray for, or even with me, unless it's along the lines of, "Oh you don't believe in my god? Well, I will pray for you."

aurora.dove
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:52 AM
2 moms liked this
I'm not a Christian and a lot of things Christians do annoy me, prayer is not one of them though. If I'm having a rough time and a Christian says they will pray for me to me.that is saying "I wish you well and hope things work out for you" So much so that I'm willing to ask my higher power to help make that happen for you. Saying you will pray for me is a genuinely nice thing to do and is appreciated.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SageAdvice
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:55 AM

I'll take anything that's positive. pray, smudge, dance, etc.  just don't judge or condem me or mine for believing differently. Words have power, the power to harm or heal. People forget that. I wish everyone nothing but good, I wish peace for and towards other peolple, all I ask is you afford me the same courtesy.

: )

Some times you just have to punt the ball.
Uhura
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:04 AM

Nope, not when they're saying they'll pray for me and it's not like for my soul or hoping that I'll find religion. I appreciate the good thoughts, however they come.

CafeMom Tickers CafeMom Tickers 

CafeMom Tickers

KeiraRose
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:05 AM

No it doesn't offend me, I think it's a sweet gesture.

CafeMom Tickers
MissMissfit
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:06 AM

It annoys me, if the person knows I am Atheist. 

nyxiemist
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:20 AM

Not at all. To me it's like me saying I will be thinking about you during this difficult time. 

ChutterButter
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:28 AM

Not at all. I am thankful that someone cared. I often say to my family and friends, some of whom are Christian, that I will light a candle for them or that I send them blessings. They don't mind that either. We have a mutual respect of each others beliefs.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN