Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Religion question to non believers

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post
When a Christian says they will pray for you( and I don't mean pray for your souls, but for YOU, regarding something you are going through),does that offend you?
If it does, why? For a Christian, one of the best ways to show they care is to pray for someone, so if they have no other way of helping you, isn't the fact that they want to help in SOME way a good thing?
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:02 AM
Replies (61-70):
SadeAyosmom
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

no they are sending positive energy i take it as very thoughtfull.

kelly617
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:39 AM

Absolutely not...I think its very sweet that they would think of me

Sanctimommy
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:43 AM
2 moms liked this

Example of a sincere statement:

Person A: "I have the flu and feel like crap."

Person B: "I'll pray for you."

Example of an offensive statement:

Person A: "I voted for a different candidate than you did.

Person B: "I'll pray for you."

classypancake
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 1:58 AM

It doesn't offend me as long as it isn't shoved down my throat. If it's a simple, "I'll pray for you" that's wonderful and I appreciate it. 

paganmommy4
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

Its not offensive if its truly sincere and isnt about our souls either...

And it goes both ways, we must ask permission before putting someone into our healing circle

AidansMomMom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:00 AM

It doesn't offend me one single bit. In fact, my son had a febrile seizure last night and during the seizure his grandma (bf's mom) started praying for him and it actually comforted me. I'm not sure why since I've never believed, but it did.

Jujubee12
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:09 AM
1 mom liked this

I personally find it insulting a bit. I understand the thought behind it. But most the time when someone says "ill pray for you" its like saying "id do something for you but I dont really feel like it, so Im just going to give you this empty gesture that will do absolutely nothing for you" Id rather just have proper moral support, someone to be there for me than a token prayer. How about give me advice, direct me to someone who can help? If you are christian do you not believe got made you with a brain and functioning body for a reason? Unless its something that cannot be helped (which honestly, most things can be) why not give me best wishes or actually help me. Prayer wont help me at all. 

But one someone says they will pray for me, as in my soul Im instantly offended.

RaevynEvermore
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:32 AM

No, Ive had friends say that to me and I thank them...because although it means nothing to me, I know it means a lot to them and I respect that

melissam21
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:33 AM
Im not offended by it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mommytoacloud
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:34 AM
It dosnt me i thank them and smile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN