Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Has anyones child had an endoscopy?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
  • 17 Replies

My dd needs to have one due to severe reflux.  we tried to treat it with meds but they are not helping.  Just wanted some real experience from mommies who have been there before.  how was the test?  how long did it take?  did you get the results right away?  what was the treatment plan?

thanks

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:19 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

anyone???

unusualmom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM

Yeah.  My son had one when he was 4.  No biggie.  It took all of 5 minutes!  They put him under and it seemed like as soon as I left the room they were calling us back.  He had no after effects.  He has severe reflux too and has to be on 3 different meds. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:22 PM

We did. My nerves were worse than anything else. He was put to sleep. They allowed me to be there until he was asleep. The test wasn't long, 10 minutes if I remember correctly. We got preliminary results right then. The doctor gave us her thoughts on what she saw. Since these doctors see so many of these scopes, their impressions are very often correct and right on. But they have to wait for biopsies to return for further results.

bmw29
by spitfire_bobbie on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

Ds had a colonoscopy and an upper endoscopy done the same day. He had to do a full colon cleanse the day before and that was hell but the actual procedure wasn't bad at all. They put him to sleep so he doesn't remember it and it was over fairly quickly. GL to you both. 

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:25 PM

thanks everyone - she was put under before for her ear tubes and she was inconsolable for about 20 minutes after she woke up, hope this time is better

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:26 PM

are the meds helping?

Quoting unusualmom:

Yeah.  My son had one when he was 4.  No biggie.  It took all of 5 minutes!  They put him under and it seemed like as soon as I left the room they were calling us back.  He had no after effects.  He has severe reflux too and has to be on 3 different meds. 

unusualmom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:45 PM

Yes and no.  I guess it depends on what kind of day hes having.  I wouldnt take him off the meds.

Quoting sfkdny:

are the meds helping?

Quoting unusualmom:

emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:54 PM

I'm surprized a change in diet did not reduce or eliminate reflux.  I had an endoscopy when I was 25 because I had 3 oversized cysts in my Uterus.  Since I was not a child I am not sure if they will put a needle in their wrist/hand area.  I was asleep during the endoscopy and felt fine after I woke up in after.

sfkdny
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:58 PM

they usually sedate children with the mask and then put the IV in - her reflux is getting worse, no improvement with food changes or medicine

Quoting emarin77:

I'm surprized a change in diet did not reduce or eliminate reflux.  I had an endoscopy when I was 25 because I had 3 oversized cysts in my Uterus.  Since I was not a child I am not sure if they will put a needle in their wrist/hand area.  I was asleep during the endoscopy and felt fine after I woke up in after.

DevonD83
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:46 PM

Not yet but my son is due to have one. He is 2. He is having an endoscopy and colonoscopy as soon as they reschedule it for the 2nd time if we can keep him well long enough to do it

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN