Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Moms with a mental illness

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
  • 12 Replies
I have a question....

Does your husband support you and understand what you're going through?

What type of illness do you have?

Does it affect your marriage?

What do you do to try to make it better?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:25 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MrS.ACosTa190
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:35 PM
Anyone??
Moe1521
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:37 PM
I used to have depression. My husband was supportive of me seeking help and TRIED to understand what I was going through. It did put a strain on our relationship for a while. I sought therapy an got meds. I've been off my meds for a few years, and I've never felt better!
Spfldmomof2
by Kimberly on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:39 PM
I have major depression, PTSD, and SAD. He supports me like I support him with his bi polar and anger. I will have to take meds for the rest of my life but so will he. It's not bad.
MrS.ACosTa190
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
Is it hard on your marriage?

Quoting Spfldmomof2:

I have major depression, PTSD, and SAD. He supports me like I support him with his bi polar and anger. I will have to take meds for the rest of my life but so will he. It's not bad.
A_McCool
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:24 PM

I don't know that I would call it a mental illness, but I was just evaluated for Autism/Asperger's.  We are waiting on the report, but we pretty much know what the result will be.  It is certainly hard on us, but we are learning more and hopefully can learn strategies to deal with it more effectively.

Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:40 PM
I am bi polar. He tries to understand. I take meds to try and help.
elfling811
by Niki on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
I have bipolar disorder with psychotic features. Which means there are times when I have auditory and visual hallucinations. It is hard on my marriage, but my husband is very supportive. I am in counseling, have a psychiatrist and am on meds. They don't always help, but I do what I can to not let my symptoms affect my daughter and my husband.
Miss.Mommie.
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:43 PM
Well we arent married yet but we both have mental illnesses. In fact we met in treatment. We support each other and have an amazing relationship. We both suffer from depression, adhd, and were long term drug addicts. We have separate recovery programs and take meds. I go to therapy also.
chattycassie
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:44 PM

I am not married but my DF tries hard to understand what I am going through and is always supportive. I am diagnosed with Bi-polar-personality disorder. It DOES affect our relationship and my relationship with my kids. I take medications and go to a physiatrist monthly to deal with it. Were also are starting to do YOGA as a family and other calming/breathing activities.

mamabear55
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:46 PM

I am Bipolar

My husband is very understanding actually and will just take my son somewhere to play when I get really angry.

It wears on us both. Him, because I am mean sometimes and me, because I hate that I can't control my emotions and get sooo angry sometimes.

I take medication, see a therapist and do yoga, it helps

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)