Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Why would you be an unmarried SAHM?

Posted by Anonymous   + Show Post

Do you realize that the law offers you zero protection if your boyfriend leaves you or dies? You aren't entitled to alimony or social security death benefits. Very foolish IMO.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 12:47 PM
Replies (241-250):
Lorik1969
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:18 AM
I don't think the OP is mocking or belittling anyone. She is just pointing out the obvious and wondering why someone would choose to do that.

Quoting Anonymous:

There is almost less protection after marriage when it comes to the kids. My husband could run away with our children tonight and I would not be able to get them back until a judge ordered otherwise. Basically we're all fucked lol. I don't really see anyone bitching to be honest, people are just trying to do their thing and it's offensive when others (like the op) mock or belittle their choices.

Quoting Lorik1969:

I don't care what other people do. Well, except for my kids. They'd better get married. How many young people, 20's and even 30's, think to spell everything out in a will?

If you're living together and raising children that piece of paper protects everyone. My friend's nephew was living with his girlfriend and their child. The girlfriend decided she was done and took the baby and left. Since they weren't married and their was no custody agreement he couldn't do anything except wait and file custody papers. She didn't even have to let him see the baby. If they were married she would not have been able to do that.

So no, I don't care if people want to get married or not. Just don't bitch if you find yourself in a position where you're screwed and a marriage certificate would have helped.

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 21 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM
1 mom liked this

The obvious is that some people want a relationship plus a legal contract and some don't. The op has replied numerous times to tell people that they are losers who can't get a man. That's pretty degrading to me. I'm more than happy to agree to disagree though :)

Quoting Lorik1969:

I don't think the OP is mocking or belittling anyone. She is just pointing out the obvious and wondering why someone would choose to do that.

HaleyBree
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:29 AM

We are not rushing marriage! DD was a total suprise, and just because I got pregnant does not mean we needed to get married. I am a SAHM and we are very happy, and if it changes, we wont have to go through a whole big divorce which will be nice.

FoodIsLife
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:31 AM

GAY MARRIAGE 

:-) 

MamaAjax
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:33 AM

I was an umarried SAHM for 5 years AND my baby daddy wasn't in the picture at all.

I didn't want him in it, he didn't want to be in it. We were both A-Okay with this.

I've never recieved childsupport or anything, NOR did I go chasing after him for it.

To each her own.

I would also like to add. I worked from home for the U.S Dept. of Comm. so I was financially sound.

TranquilMind
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:35 AM

Agreed.

snowpeasmom
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

umm you are entitled to social security if he is the father of the children...

la_bella_vita
by Bella on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM
Maybe they got money in the bank lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
vegaswife2011
by LMAO on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:37 AM

Not your business..

gabrielsmommy04
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:50 AM

first off if something happened to him and he had paid in enough social security to get survivors benefits and you have children the children get benefits and you can can get widows benefits untill the children gradute. In some cases even if you are not married but you can provide proof that you were either common law married or that you lived together and he provided your support you can still get benefits. also just become someone is a sahm doesn't neccesairly mean they are a welfare queen they could have inheritances or worked previously and invested and saved their money well. so maybe they don't need the money if it isn't affecting you then why do you care?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)