Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

i may have took up for pits too soon

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 48 Replies
We got a pit puppy about 2 wks ago and she is a sweet puppy but she scares me sometimes. she bites and snips at the kids,bites thier pants legs wont let go. when you get on to her or tell her no she gets mad and barks real loud at you and has even snipped at mine and my husbands faces . she just resists authority so bad like i said barks as in rebellion. maybe i should have got a beagle or golden retriever :-/
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LucyHarper
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:10 PM
12 moms liked this

Every single puppy of every single breed does that. Puppies nip and bark, thats how they play, they hang onto fabric and don't let go. You just have to train them and they will get better. The golden retriever puppies have been more nippy then the pitt bull puppies I know.

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:12 PM

She might be an aggressive one honey.  That can happen with any breed.  Which of the pit group is she?  Bull Terrier, AmStaff, Staffordshire Bull?  

mom2bell
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
Love my golden puppies. Never had an issue with them nipping and rarely did they bark as puppies. We lost one golden 5 months ago and got a black lab pup... Totally different story! He is a barker! He has to go out, he barks, wants food...barks loud! Ready for his walk...barks and runs in circles! But never has he nipped at any of us and my 3 year old is all over this dog he is loud but very gentle and good.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
elkmomma
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

It's just the baby stages if in fact it's an actual puppy ( under 6 months).  Find a trainer, get  puppy toys, and a spray bottle. 

Melissa_4
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:15 PM

When we adopted Pebbles (the deaf white one of the three), we had also adopted a puppy AmStaff.  She was so aggressive she actually went after the big boys, and when Pebbles put her on her ass and almost ripped her face off (after the pup went after her...Pebbles is the most delicate, well-mannered of the group), it was time for the pup to go back to the shelter.  An 8 week old that shows that much aggression is not going to be a good adult dog, not with other dogs in the house.  

fairyjester
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:17 PM
All puppies do that perhaps you should have gotten a gold fish

oh and its... I may have taken
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
SusieQue717
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this

This is why not everyone should own a pit. They are very hard headed animals. The owners have to be just as hard headed. Snipping at anyone is not ok. Any puppy is going to do it. They need to be corrected. You don't want the dog to think he's the leader. You're the leader. You need to make that known. If you can't. Find someone that can, and give the dog to that person. If not, your failure to be a strong owner will result in disaster and then the pitt getting a soiled name. 

two4one
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM

Puppies nip and bark. That's what they do. Have you taken her to training yet?

wendythewriter
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

Do you act afraid of her? If you act afraid, they see that as you being weak, and will then try to dominate. It's something that I have worked on with my youngest son. Our pit doesn't hurt him, but because my son is small and will hesitate, it comes across to the dog as fear, which is weakness and he then tries to dominate my son by jumping on him, snatching things from his hand, etc.

What do you do when she nips at you? You have to show her you are the authority, not her. Tell her no firmly and smack her nose or the top of her head - not hard, but something that lets her know that she is not to do that. I've also found for mine, when he used to nip a bit, putting him in his kennel a few times taught him to stop. He figured out that if he didn't want to be put in his kennel, he had to be nice.

frzmamaof4
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:20 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting elkmomma:

It's just the baby stages if in fact it's an actual puppy ( under 6 months).  Find a trainer, get  puppy toys, and a spray bottle. 

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)