Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Doesn't Every Woman Want to be Thin?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
  • 658 Replies
5 moms liked this

Poll

Question: If you could change your body with a snap of your fingers, would you?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 1083

View Results

Am I amiss in thinking that every woman would like to be thin and toned?  I'm not talking about seeing bones thin, I'm talking about waking up in the morning and not having to go through the agony of finding something to wear that doesn't make me feel like I should only eat a stick for lunch.  I know that I have body issues, less now than I had pre-marriage, however, I feel as if my husband enjoys seeing my toned and tight body; I know I do.  I feel like women who are overweight and say things like, "My husband loves my body the way it is" or "I love my body and wouldn't change a thing," are only doing so to preserve their dignity.  I know that it takes work and dedication; LOT'S of WORK.  However, it's well worth it when I look in the mirror and am happy with what I see.  I know all women have a different expectation of themselves.  Is that because we feel certain goals are unrealistic and just decide "Eh, this is as good as I'm going to get"?  Is it because of lack of education when it comes to exercise and health?  Is it laziness?  I've had four kids, one set of twins, after the birth of my first, I was so unhappy with my body that I was miserable.  I couldnt' believe how much pregnancy had changed my body, how much I allowed it to change.  I'd never seen a square butt before; that is until I was well into my pregnancy.  I did, after all, drink soda and, thanks to my husband, experienced ice cream.  I gained more weight with my singlet than I did with my twins; 45 lbs with my first child and 35 lbs with my twins.  

About two years ago, I turned a corner, so to speak.  I have always been healthy and fit, however, never really "small" or thin.  I change my diet, I incorporated supplements and increased my mileage.  As a result, I literally dropped three to four clothing sizes.  I currently wear between a 2, 4 and 6 in ladies and about a 7 in juniors (I know, I know, should a woman my age be shopping in the Juniors section, whole other post).  Anyway, I actually gave away about 90% of my wardrobe.  I wasn't sad that I had to buy new clothes.

As a result, I've never been happier with my body.  I can wear a two piece, in public no less, and actually walk to the pool.  Rather than sitting so close to the side, that I have to roll from my towel/chair into the pool, in angst that some flubber may peer it's dimpled face from the two inch seem at top of my bottoms.  I no longer have that anxiety.  I have and still do work very hard to maintain my tone body.  I workout nearly every day and have finally realized that I cannot eat anything I want, no matter how hard I pretend I'll burn it off just by thinking really, really hard about it.  

So, my question is, Does every women want to be thin and/or fit?  If you could choose, with a snap of your finger, to be a size 6 and healthy, would you?  Or are you really happy with what you have going on?  My weight and body type does not define my happiness, my family does that, however, if there's a day, in which I don't get a workout, I'll just skip eating that day and triple my liquid intake; which is usually coffee. I know, I clearly need therapy.  At least that's what my husband says. 

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 1:39 PM
61 moms liked this
This post annoys me, I'm not sure why.
bellygirl
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:33 PM
2 moms liked this
Quoting Anonymous:

Are you happy with your body? Would you change some things if it was quick and easy? Did this post bring out some underlying issues?
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:34 PM
1 mom liked this

I hate my body! 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
17 moms liked this

I don't care to be "thin", I just want to be my bodies healthy weight.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:35 PM
3 moms liked this
I think it was the fact that you use the word "tone" when it should be "toned".
No underlying issues here.

Quoting bellygirl:

Quoting Anonymous:

Are you happy with your body? Would you change some things if it was quick and easy? Did this post bring out some underlying issues?
panther79
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:37 PM
3 moms liked this
I know I am fat. I am doing what i can to change it. I dont wanna be super skinny just a normal size.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
April620
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:39 PM
5 moms liked this
I didn't read the post but yes there are some things I would like to change about my body. Nothing major, I have a pretty great hour glass shape but I could use some toning here and there.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
ashley9603
by RunningMomma on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:40 PM
2 moms liked this

I seriously am happy with where I am at,if I never lose another pound whatever.Just know whatever you are doing,you have to keep doing to keep or maintain your current shape.Before I got pregnant with my twins,I was thin and toned and had to workout daily to maintain that....during my pregnancy(high risk)I couldnt continue to run or lift,my weight came back with a vengence lol...anyways I lost my baby weight however but am not as ''skinny'' as I once was.I enjoy my running/lifting and do it for the love of it rather than to achieve the perfect body....one day all of it will fade anyway.....I had alot of issues when I got too skinny and missed a workout,I have grown alot since then....I usually workout 3-4 days a week and I am happy with that.I noticed that you said if you dont workout each day or if there is a day you will miss you dont eat?Honey dont go there,I have been there done that...doesnt do you much good in the long run.

Thelmama
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
7 moms liked this

I just want to be healthy.  I need to lose 15 to 20 lbs by eating healthy, which I am doing and exercising, which I am doing.  Snapping the fingers to get "thin" would work in the moment, but unless you ate right and exercised it would not remain.

IUND
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:41 PM
7 moms liked this

Why worry about a certain size?  You dont wear your size on the outside of your clothes, do you?  No one knows your size unless YOU tell them.  I would love to be smaller than I am--at more than 30 pounds underweight when I was just out of grad school, I only got to a size 10.  I was still a D cup and I still had hips. 

All I want to be is healthy.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured