Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
  • 221 Replies
1 mom liked this

Parents Who Hire Sleep Consultants for Toddlers Take the Easy Way Out (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

girl going to bedHands down, one of the most frustrating and exhausting (literally) parts of parenting small children is the lack of sleep. From middle-of-the-night feedings to nightmares and kids who just don't want to sleep, there are a number of issues that leave parents red-eyed and in need of copious amounts of caffeine. But should it get this bad?

Nightline recently interviewed parents Danielle and Marcello (who don't want their last name used) who were so desperate for sleep, they took extreme action. Between their two children -- a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old -- they say they were staying up virtually all night long. Danielle said she was lucky if she was getting fours of sleep a night -- and not in a row. 

Both parents work full-time, and when they simply couldn't function anymore, they hired sleep consultants.

The service runs about $2,000, and it includes an overnight visit and follow-up support. That's a lot of dough! And the consultants admit that most families could do what they do themselves -- using things like controlled crying, black-out shades, and sound machines. But if parents aren't able to -- for whatever reason -- then isn't getting someone else to do it worth it?

More from The Stir: 18-Month-Old Hasn't Slept a Single Night Since She Was Born

I suppose it depends on your budget, just how tired you are ... and the level of guilt you might have for farming out such a chore.

The fact these consultants even exist is worrisome to a degree. I mean, do children today really have more trouble sleeping than they did for hundreds of years before such a service existed? Are we really that bad at instilling good sleep habits at an early age? Or are parents today just more willing to throw up their hands and bring someone else in to do the job when they can't. 

I mean, you can hire people to do everything from potty train your kid to help them with their homework and remove lice from their head. Is it a good thing that parents are able to ask for and get help in areas that challenge them (or they don't want to deal with), or is it somehow cheating our children? Is taking the easy way out always a bad thing, or does it make sense sometimes?

I don't know. I suppose if parents have the cash and want to go this route, then that's their business. You just have to wonder if you start down that road of hiring experts when the parenting gets rough where else it may lead you and what message it sends your children.

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
atyou
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM
9 moms liked this
No.

But my kids have always been great sleepers...so my opinion doesn't count. Lol
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 1 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this

No!

OwlNuggets
by HAIL NUGGY! on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:57 PM
14 moms liked this

If you got the cash and you really are out of ideas and feel you could use some help, why the hell not?

Lilypie Kids Birthday tickers
Anonymous
by Anonymous 2 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:59 PM

No.

logansmommy612
by Amanda on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:01 PM
3 moms liked this
This!

Quoting OwlNuggets:

If you got the cash and you really are out of ideas and feel you could use some help, why the hell not?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
prettymomma1204
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:10 PM
1 mom liked this
The thought crossed my mind a time or two. We had the newborn that Did! Not! Sleep! We tried what seemed like everything and nothing worked. He's almost 2 now and still doesn't sleep well. His sister has always been a fantastic sleeper.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
GELiz
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:14 PM
1 mom liked this

no, I have never had extra money for such a thing.

AHmom103
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:20 PM
2 moms liked this

I never would. I'm the mom, so I'm pretty sure I'll be better at dealing with issues my kids have than some stranger would be. Of course, neither of my kids has ever had much trouble with sleeping. Now potty training, on the other hand, I would be tempted some days! Lol

Anonymous
by Anonymous 3 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:23 PM
8 moms liked this

No and I wouldnt have a nanny either, I gave birth to my child to be his mother, not to hand him to someone else to raise!  Hiring a maid drives me crazy too, good grief, raise your OWN child, clean your OWN house, its really not that hard!

thenameshailie
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:24 PM

I think some people will do anything to be able to get some sleep, thankfully my girls are good little sleepers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)