Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?

Posted by   + Show Post

Parents Who Hire Sleep Consultants for Toddlers Take the Easy Way Out (VIDEO)

by Julie Ryan Evans

girl going to bedHands down, one of the most frustrating and exhausting (literally) parts of parenting small children is the lack of sleep. From middle-of-the-night feedings to nightmares and kids who just don't want to sleep, there are a number of issues that leave parents red-eyed and in need of copious amounts of caffeine. But should it get this bad?

Nightline recently interviewed parents Danielle and Marcello (who don't want their last name used) who were so desperate for sleep, they took extreme action. Between their two children -- a 2-year-old and a 9-month-old -- they say they were staying up virtually all night long. Danielle said she was lucky if she was getting fours of sleep a night -- and not in a row. 

Both parents work full-time, and when they simply couldn't function anymore, they hired sleep consultants.

The service runs about $2,000, and it includes an overnight visit and follow-up support. That's a lot of dough! And the consultants admit that most families could do what they do themselves -- using things like controlled crying, black-out shades, and sound machines. But if parents aren't able to -- for whatever reason -- then isn't getting someone else to do it worth it?

More from The Stir: 18-Month-Old Hasn't Slept a Single Night Since She Was Born

I suppose it depends on your budget, just how tired you are ... and the level of guilt you might have for farming out such a chore.

The fact these consultants even exist is worrisome to a degree. I mean, do children today really have more trouble sleeping than they did for hundreds of years before such a service existed? Are we really that bad at instilling good sleep habits at an early age? Or are parents today just more willing to throw up their hands and bring someone else in to do the job when they can't. 

I mean, you can hire people to do everything from potty train your kid to help them with their homework and remove lice from their head. Is it a good thing that parents are able to ask for and get help in areas that challenge them (or they don't want to deal with), or is it somehow cheating our children? Is taking the easy way out always a bad thing, or does it make sense sometimes?

I don't know. I suppose if parents have the cash and want to go this route, then that's their business. You just have to wonder if you start down that road of hiring experts when the parenting gets rough where else it may lead you and what message it sends your children.

WATCH VIDEO HERE

Would you ever hire a consultant to help get your kids to sleep?

by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 2:55 PM
Replies (191-200):
AandKsMom
by Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:41 PM
Kids need enough physical stimulation throughout the day. They're bundles of energy that only builds and gets worse if they can't find an outlet.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous 22 on Apr. 3, 2013 at 11:43 PM
This! If there's something terribly wrong of course I would seek medical attn but a sleep nanny is lazy parenting ! Get them on a schedule.

Quoting Anonymous:

Do people not parent anymore? Β Yes it's hard, but you knew that going into it. Β It's time for the grown ups to grow up and take care of their responsibilities.

Sirime
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:19 AM

Nope that's just stupid! To me it's lazy parenting! Like WTF can't you do it?! Ur the parent aren't you? Lmao seems to me like there's ppl for everything now a days here soon we will have parents having appointments at all hours of the day to do everything for them! Lmao I think it's ridiculous! 

SAMI_JO
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM
1 mom liked this

NO!!!!That is our end of the day, talk time.

Saerise
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:35 AM
Well I've only had one and he's been a pretty good sleeper for the most part. I have had a few nights where I'd probably be quite tempted! It seems like it might be more effective with you doing it than a stranger though. But depends on the child, I suppose.
Uzma_mom_of_2
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:47 AM

Nope

MABmommy
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 12:50 AM

I practically did this when my son came home. He was VERY premature. He spent 3 months in the NICU. By the time he came I was already worn out with sleepless nights. So, my mom practically lived at my house for the first 3 weeks he was home. I was scared out of my mind that he would stop breathing or I wouldn't wake up to feed him. My mom and I basically took turns sleeping. I don't know what I would've done without her. Granted, I did not spend $2000 for a consultant, but it was basically the same thing.

To give an easy answer to every question you posted - YES.

We are much busier than people were hundreds of years ago. Work, school, sporting and other school events, charity work, social life, and so many other things that people commit themselves to. Let's face it. We do NOT know how to say NO. People used to have more help around. Families stayed in the same area, they didn't have so many job transfers and other things taking them away. They used to be around to help eachother with everything. We don't always have that luxury today. We need help and we don't know how to ask for it. Maybe if it was more affordable to hire a sleep consultant, more people would be doing it.Maybe not everyday, but in an emergency situation, it might be helpful.

Although, I do LOVE the bonding time I get with my baby at night :)

weaveress
by Silver Member on Apr. 4, 2013 at 4:03 AM

no. never had a problem with any of mine. obviously people aren't training their kids with bedtime routines. 

BerryBoo
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 5:36 AM

Ah for the days when parents just... Parented.

iluvmykids32012
by on Apr. 4, 2013 at 7:23 AM
U just described my life/children.
No I wouldnt hire anyone to basically parent my child, thats obsurd!

Quoting atyou:

No.

But my kids have always been great sleepers...so my opinion doesn't count. Lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN