Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Is this right?--long--

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM
  • 10 Replies

So, I wanted to put a situation my dad and my little sister are going through right now. I have heard one side pretty much, but am staying out of it.

My dad works as an LVN/LPN in NC. he pays for my sister's cell phone and gives her money and a place to live whenever she comes home (from college) and whenever she asks for the money. She has lived with her boyfriend since she went to college (we all advised against it, but its her life) and she has made his family pretty much her family and hardly ever talks to us anymore. Anyways, we have always been a close knit family through thick and thin and she was too until she went to college and became 'estranged' from the rest of us.

So since my dad was doing this and she is still a dependent student (she pays for college with financial aid and student loans) on taxes at least for my dad, he claims her at tax time. He then offered to pay her half of what he got back from her being a dependent. So it was like 1000$ and he gave her 500$. At first she was like, yay, alright I have 500$! Then next year comes around and my dad says the same thing. 

But when he said that he was getting a thousand dollars for using her as a dependent, she became silent and then said I thought it was 500$ last year. And since she realized it was only half, she got really upset at him and said I thought you gave me the whole thing. So she said she is hurt by this, and feels betrayed, yadda yadda. And suddenly she said she doesnt want him paying for her cell phone or having anything to do with her. She did eventually take her name off the cell phone, and doesnt call him or anyone else anymore. She is also getting married and has yet to invite any of us either. I have done nothing wrong to this girl except be an older sister and give her advice and help when she needed it.

This hurt my dad because that is the only kid left on the east coast, and is his baby girl. The rest of us dont know what to do. and i wanted to know what you ladies thought/

-p-
I knew I loved you before I met you, you were already perfectly formed in my heart.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:43 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:45 PM

BUMP!

RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:48 PM

BUMP!

victoriangavin
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:51 PM
1 mom liked this

So she does not work? He gives her money and pays her bills. She should not expect him to hand over the entire $1000. Is that his entire income tax return? He doesn't have to really give her any of it.  He still gets to claim her long as she's in school until she gets married

RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 3:54 PM

yes this was what i was thinking. no she doesnt work, unless she gets some part time job every now and then. and recently lol, she told one of the family members that working is not for her...hahah! and on top of that, she is going to graduate next year with a bachelors in science with biology as her major and still doesnt know what to do with it. i believe she is just waiting for her bf to become a doctor (hes in medical school) and then be a sahw. she doesnt even love him, its sad. shes gone out on him before.

Quoting victoriangavin:

So she does not work? He gives her money and pays her bills. She should not expect him to hand over the entire $1000. Is that his entire income tax return? He doesn't have to really give her any of it.  He still gets to claim her long as she's in school until she gets married

-p-
I knew I loved you before I met you, you were already perfectly formed in my heart.
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:00 PM

BUMP!

Sharbear42371
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:10 PM
1 mom liked this

She sounds like a brat. 

RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:50 PM

well, thats what i was thinking too, although i didnt want to get involved. 

Quoting Sharbear42371:

She sounds like a brat. 

-p-
iamcafemom83
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 4:56 PM
1 mom liked this
Sounds like she is in for a reality check. If say let her pay her own bills and stuff. While I'm sure dad will not have as nice a tax refund next year, he will certainly not be paying out as much during the course of the year.

Hopefully she does some growing up and becomes independent instead of dependent on someone else.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
RoseBlossom
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:01 PM

yes well, thats what i tell my family too when they talk about her. i just say im going to pray for her, but hopefully nothing bad happens since she basically cut all ties to us and burned her bridges. she is eventually going to marry this guy shes been with since high school who she doesnt love for his money and career. she loves his family though, but i always said that if she ever cheats on their son or gets into a fight with him, that is still their son and she is not their kid. they will side with him and then where will she go since she threw us away?

Quoting iamcafemom83:

Sounds like she is in for a reality check. If say let her pay her own bills and stuff. While I'm sure dad will not have as nice a tax refund next year, he will certainly not be paying out as much during the course of the year.

Hopefully she does some growing up and becomes independent instead of dependent on someone else.

-p-
Monsita
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 5:21 PM
1 mom liked this

hugsI am so sorry.....this is sad to you and your Dad.....Your sister is so wrong!!!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)