Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you worked while you were pregnant

Posted by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
  • 103 Replies
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM
2 moms liked this
I literally worked until I went into labor. I went to labor during my shift at the nursing home. I finished my shift, went home, showered, ate, called my ob and went to the hospital.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM

I don't see a problem working up until you give birth.  I worked up until the end, had her on a friday and returned thirty days later.

levansbx
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:58 PM
I worked until I was 1 day overdue. That was a Friday, and I went into labor Monday, so it all worked out. :)
kels1023
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:00 PM
My only concern is that if I go into labor they won't have anyone to cover for me. We only have 3 people at our location. Part timers can't go over 28 hours and full timers can't to over 40. So they can't just work extra to cover my shifts.

Quoting IamMex11:

I don't see a problem working up until you give birth.  I worked up until the end, had her on a friday and returned thirty days later.

tifbrown
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM
I worked until 4 days before I had my first. I was supposed to have 2 weeks off, but someone decided to come early haha.
IamMex11
by JorgematoTM on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:03 PM

I understand, but you are worrying too much. They may have to hire a temp for your leave, that is up to them though.

Quoting kels1023:

My only concern is that if I go into labor they won't have anyone to cover for me. We only have 3 people at our location. Part timers can't go over 28 hours and full timers can't to over 40. So they can't just work extra to cover my shifts.

Quoting IamMex11:

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

I worked at a bank and I worked past my due date, they forced me to go on leave, they didnt want me to have him at the drive thru window!

BEXi
by BEXi on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

Around 3-4 months into my pregnancy, my fainting disorder started acting up again. I couldnt work without feeling like I was going to fall out.

I worked at a diet clinic and was on my feet the whole time.

paganmommy4
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

BY law if there are more than 50 employees ( even people working half time, if they clock in they are still and employee) and if you've been there for more than a year, you get 12 weeks of UNPAID medical leave

Pregnancy is protected under the Americans With Disabilites Act, they cannot fire you for being pregnant

momoftwoboys12
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:07 PM

i didnt have a choice either time. being military you have to work until you go into labor. this last time the day before i had my c-section they gave me a flu shot and almost ruined everything!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)