Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you worked while you were pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Replies (61-70):
Mommy_Tate
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM
I worked up until the week before my due date. Worked out perfectly because I had her that following week. Plus I was able to get another 2 weeks on leave. Maybe take your leave a few days before you due date.
honeyrder
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:41 PM

With my twins, I worked on the Monday before they were born to train my replacement. I had the twins on the Friday. But that was a scheduled C-section at 38 weeks.

VarelaClan
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I'm not much help. I was a teacher. I just so happened to be due late June/early July. So I quit at the end of the school year. It worked out perfectly. I've been a SAHM since.
Anonymous
by Anonymous 6 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM
I worked until I went into preterm labor, and was put on bed rest, at 32 weeks. I technically could have went back at 36 weeks and worked until I gave birth, but I chose not to. I was supposed to have 12 weeks off, but decided not to go back.
BewitchedKisses
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:42 PM

If they wanted to fire you they could. For any reason at all. Oregon is an at will state.

Oregon courts have long followed this general rule of "at-will" employment. This means that generally, in the absence of a contract or statute to the contrary, Oregon employers may discharge an employee at any time and for any reason, or for no reason at all. Simpson v. Western Graphics, 293 Or 96, 99, 643 P2d 1276 (1982); Nees v. Hocks, 272 Or 210, 216, 536 P2d 512 (1975).

Mama_Dolly
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:43 PM

I gave my work a date for my last day before mat leave.... well lets say I didnt make it,,, I had a 4 day weekend from work and the night before I had to go to work I was admitted to the hospital. this was 2 months before my edd...

I asked for two weeks before my due date to start mat leave fyi

Anonymous
by Anonymous 7 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM
I would work until you go into labor. I worked until I went into labor. Then I got my 6 weeks with my baby. Daycare won't even watch a baby younger than 6weeks. If you are going that route anyway.
jacandjay
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:45 PM
The second time i worked and went to school and my dr told me i had to stop one of them 5 weeks before my c-section bc of the issues i had during my first preg. I was in the middle of a class so it couldnt be school, but i went to school until 3days before my c-section..
Bekki
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:48 PM

Worked until my due date. I was induced the day after. I also didn't want to waste any of my 6 weeks waiting around!

Anonymous
by Anonymous 8 on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:34 PM
I work for a bigger company and was scheduled from c sections with my last two. So I was able to give them a date unless I went into labor early. So I did work up until a day or two before having them. They had a vacation relief ready to take my place.
But in your position i'd tell them your due date and ask what te plans are. Just express your concern abou coverage and that you know it may be an issue so you want to do your best to help. This way you can handle it in a way that helps them run the business.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN