Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you worked while you were pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Replies (71-80):
aalmomma
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:36 PM

i quit 2 weeks before my due date..i wanted to relax before i had my 3rd kid..went into labor 2 days later lol he was born the following day and i went back to work the next week. i didnt get much of a maternity leave :/

hip2it
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM
I worked 90 hours a week literally until I went into labor. Then I finished out the day and let my boss know I was going to labor and delivery. I was a contracted worker with no maternity leave and I needed to put as much money away as possible. Well I had maternity leave but it was all unpaid.
Pnukey
by Jenn on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:38 PM

With my first, I worked until 2 weeks before she was due. However, this was due more to the school's year-round schedule than any planning on my part. DD was born during my break. With my 2nd, I took the month before he was born off, and then got my 8 weeks of maternity leave (c-section), and then another 4 because it was time to be on school break again. My 8 weeks didn't start until he was born though. Don't your 6 weeks start after the baby is born?

kels1023
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:01 AM
So much for relaxing before your baby got there lol

Quoting aalmomma:

i quit 2 weeks before my due date..i wanted to relax before i had my 3rd kid..went into labor 2 days later lol he was born the following day and i went back to work the next week. i didnt get much of a maternity leave :/

OneToughMami
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:03 AM

I worked until my doctor told me it was a bad idea. I worked for a small mental health agency. They sent a computer to my house so I could do some of my job at home.

ladybugrooke
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:04 AM

I worked the day before I delivered. Came back to work 2 weeks after I delivered and they can't fire you for going into labor!

nataliesmom2012
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:05 AM

My water broke in the parking lot at my office on my way to the car to head home for the day. If I were you, I would work until you went into labor.

Sj218
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 12:08 AM
I worked up thru my due date, a Tuesday and had my son on Friday. I just couldn't take being on my feet 10hrs a day at that point.
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:34 AM

pretty much to the day that I delivered.  We earn comp time, which is like vacation but they dont pay it out and you can only earn up to a week.  We can then use our vacation and sick time for maternity leave.  I generally take 2 months for maternity leave.

LilrockerMama
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:38 AM
I was working 18 hr shifts 4 cm dilated 60% (which i had been for a month) effaced until a couple days before delivery. But I didn't get paid maternity and I could have taken as long as I needed
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)