Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you worked while you were pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Replies (81-90):
horseap
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

I had to take leave early for my last and they wouldnt bring me back but started hiring other people.. never fired me but wouldnt work me.  Then I heard from another girl at work that I wasnt going to be brought back so I told the GM I wanted a letter saying when and why I was fired so I could take it to a lawyer... I was back at work in a better position a few days later.  I would work as long as you can and call someone in when you go into labor.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting kels1023:

My only concern is that if I go into labor they won't have anyone to cover for me. We only have 3 people at our location. Part timers can't go over 28 hours and full timers can't to over 40. So they can't just work extra to cover my shifts.

Quoting IamMex11:

I don't see a problem working up until you give birth.  I worked up until the end, had her on a friday and returned thirty days later.

They know your pregnant, its up to the employer to find coverage for you at least a week before your actual due date.  If your employer acts like its your responsibiltiy to find coverage then thats their problem not yours. 

Journeysmama11
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:40 AM

Don't worry about your work making arragements...it's their problem lol! I worked until the week before my daughter was born because it was a really painful pregnancy on my back and hips (and I do hair so on my feet a lot). But with my son (this last pregnancy) I was at work when I realized I was REALLY in labor! lol! ...and i was there by myself. I was only contracting about every 10 mins. Not super painful yet. But I also lost my mucous plug and was spotting (sorry if TMI) and suddenly I felt the urge to clean my room. So after I closed up the salon I went hom and cleaned and swept the floor and mopped...lol! and I didn't go to the hospital until 3am. when my contractions were 2 mins apart. By then I was already at 6 cm! I like the second time better. Work helped me stay busy and keep my mind of the end that drags on forever! And it didn't waste my maternity leave. Plus I think keeping active is what helped me go into labor at 38 weeks verses needing to be induced with my daughter! :) Congrats!

crumpy_gat
by No. on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:41 AM

I went into labor early.  I worked on a Friday, went into labor the following Monday.  I was 33 weeks.  I was planning on working as long as possible, probably to 36 weeks.

sweetieiv
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:43 AM
I am currently 38 weeks pregnant and still working. I use to be full time but now I'm only part time because my feet swell. I plan to keep workng til the end of the week. I've had some contractions already and pelvic pain so I don't want to push it by staying. Good luck to you.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Mrs.taub
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:45 AM

holy crap idk if i could ever stay that calm!!!! more power to you!

Quoting ccoyle4:

I literally worked until I went into labor. I went to labor during my shift at the nursing home. I finished my shift, went home, showered, ate, called my ob and went to the hospital.

mattiehatter
by Mary on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:46 AM

They will find a way to make it work.

Quoting kels1023:

My only concern is that if I go into labor they won't have anyone to cover for me. We only have 3 people at our location. Part timers can't go over 28 hours and full timers can't to over 40. So they can't just work extra to cover my shifts.

Quoting IamMex11:

I don't see a problem working up until you give birth.  I worked up until the end, had her on a friday and returned thirty days later.

svolkov
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:51 AM
I worked until 39 weeks. However most women who arent induced/csect etc have an avg gestation of 40 weeks 4 days. ;).

Quoting kels1023:

Quoting IamMex11:

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Lalalie
by Gold Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:53 AM

I gave them a date when I would stop working, and we scheduled when I would come back but it was clear that date could change. I just notified them I would give them as much advance notice as I could as I planned it out.

Have you discussed what they would prefer? Maybe they might come up with which would be better? Damn. They don't sound very friendly. Still, you should discuss the best option with them and by that ask them which would be best.

SheciaBaby
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:55 AM
Worked til I was in labor basically. I had contractions two weeks straight before I got induced because of it.... I left work after a wweek and a half of contractions delivered three days later
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured