Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

If you worked while you were pregnant

Posted by   + Show Post
Did you work up until the day you gave birth? Or did you give your work a date as to when you were going to stop working?

My issue is that I only get 6 weeks maternity leave. If I tell them I'm going to stop working on a certain day and then she comes late it will take time out of my maternity leave. However working up until I give birth might be an issue too. We only have 3 people including myself working at this particular location. They will have to make special arrangements for someone from a different location to come cover for me and I'm sure they would appreciate some notice. Not only that, I work alone most of the time. If I go into labor while I'm working alone I would have to close the business early. I know they're just waiting for a reason to fire me. I started working here in January and didn't tell them I was pregnant because I knew they wouldn't hire someone who's that far along. When they found out they weren't pleased, by by law they can't fire me for being pregnant so I feel like they're just waiting for me to screw up. I'm not sure how to handle this. What would you do if you were in my shoes?
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:40 PM
Replies (91-100):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:56 AM
My water broke right when I was about to leave for work I was 22 weeks I stayed in the hospital for 2 weeks when I called to explain I had to stay till the baby was born they were mad and thought I quit like I was making it up. I asked if they just fired me and they said no they thought I was quitting and that I needed to give a doc note. I was like that's the least of my worries.
rmfanfgljf
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:58 AM
I worked until the day I gave birth with my first two pregnancies. With my second baby my water broke at work........I quit after my second baby way born because well I was treated like shit while pregnant with her and it was stressful.......so really if you "know" they are going to fire you then I would give them the time you want to take maternity leave, and 2 weeks before you have to go back to work give them a 2 weeks notice.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
C.S.K.L
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:25 AM
I work 3rd shift, so I took Tuesday off and went into the hospital to be induced Wednesday, then turned around and went back to work Monday
ADC2005
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 4:28 AM
Worked until I started leaking fluid, I worked 12-13 hour shifts at a daycare, it really wasn't bad
ccoyle4
by Silver Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:15 AM
Lol. I was hoping that if I waited, I'd be too far along for a csection. Boy was I wrong. Lol. When I got there, they gave me a shot to slow contractions long enough for my ob to get there.

Quoting Mrs.taub:

holy crap idk if i could ever stay that calm!!!! more power to you!

Quoting ccoyle4:

I literally worked until I went into labor. I went to labor during my shift at the nursing home. I finished my shift, went home, showered, ate, called my ob and went to the hospital.

lovelove211
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:18 AM
I'm in aus, and here, you can only work up until 6 weeks before your due date. So I worked up until that exact day
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
misskriss10
by Ruby Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I was put on strict bedrest a couple weeks before I had dd (who came a month early) so I didnt have a choice. But my manager worked with me and told me that I could take as much time off as I needed.
nataliemaddymom
by Bronze Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:22 AM
I worked right up till all three of mine were born. But I was a waitress and got no maternity leave and their were plenty of people to cover for me and they hired someone after I had them anyway.
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:24 AM
With my first, I worked up until about a week before I had him. I thought I was in labor one morning and called in, they then fired me for the whole thing. It was a shit job so whatever but had they not I would have worked until I had him. With my youngest, I worked past my due date and stopped 2 days before I had him. I had no choice because they couldn't find a replacement and I worked in l and d so not a huge deal. If I were you, id discuss this with your boss. They are aware you will be leaving soon so im sure they have a plan b at a moments notice. They need to be aware of your plans so they can do that if they haven't already.
owl0210
by Emerald Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 8:25 AM
I worked until 39 weeks and took 14 weeks of maternity leave.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)