Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What Should I do with This Kid?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 8 Replies

My best friend's son is staying over while she and her husband are in cancun for their honeymoon. He is 2 almost 3, the same age as my son. he's not pottytrained yet but my son is. He is incredibally difficult to take care of. He wets himself at least twice a night and then will come to my room for me to help him, he is very whiney (Something that my kids dont do thank God), he still wears diapers so I have two in diapers, he wont eat almost everything that I make, he wont go to sleep until 10 at night, he wont nap, he wakes up increibally early, hes incredabelly hyper, and he wont take a bath with either of my sons or with me in the room (Which doesnt work because I must be in there if he is in the tub) so he throws a fit until I can finally get him into the tub at which point he wont say anything to me and he constantally will hit my kids when theyre playing. Ive called his mom and she has done nothing about it. Im lost on what to do without stepping out of bounds.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:57 PM

I guess Im a softie I have as on with autism who eats very few things. So I make what he will eat. If he does not want to bath with someone else then dont make him. Keep him in diapers. 

KristenFowles
by Ruby Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 8:59 PM

No great advice :-/

Major props to you momma, I would have NEVER agreed to take a 2 year old..  You're a great friend!

There is no way to be a perfect mother, and a million ways to be a good one.

Roo1234
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:05 PM

You agreed to watch him knowing most of this.

Feed him what he likes, Give him sponge baths.  Accept that you need to change his diapers.Him waking you up beats having to wash all the sheets every morning.

His poor sleep schedule is probably the reason for his hyper-activity and his agressiveness.  Correct him and move on.

BTW what is it you think his mom can do?

AJsMom81507
by Silver Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:06 PM

1. i would NEVER bath another child with my children, so i dont blame him

2. you should have NEVER agreed to watch him, knowing this

3. will it kill you to pacify this child while his parents are away?

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:16 PM

First off he's a two year old. They're not expected to be potty trained that early. (Some kids are though, mine were trained by the age of two) I used cloth diapers though, they work better than the disposable ones do. (The kids are aware that they are wet), so they want to be clean earlier. Two year olds have a reputation for being terrible twos. (I think the worst time is the threes). Obviously the child probably has a routine that is different to yours. (yes my kids were in bed by six or seven when they were young, they slept all night too).
Don't expect a two year old to change himself. He's not old enough to do everything for himself yet.

He's probably used to different foods that you don't make for your children. There are all kinds of reasons for his behaviour. If I were you, I'd have asked for a routine schedule for the child, before they left to go on the Honeymoom. I wrote down everything my child needed, on the rare occasions I had a babysitter, for my grandchildren. otherwise they're used to me doing what I do. So expect some disruption. It's not easy, but you'll probably learn his routine as you go along. good luck.

12345abcde54321
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:24 PM

when dealing with other people's kids i just do whatever they need me to do. that means meals i wouldn't ordinarily make, dealing with night time stuff, etc.. whatever. do not bother your friend on her honeymoon. suck it up and be a good friend!

you are a great friend for doing this btw. but seriously, suck it up. do whatever you have to do to get through it with as little trouble as possible.

TheDoctorsWife
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:26 PM
Ditto

Quoting Roo1234:

You agreed to watch him knowing most of this.

Feed him what he likes, Give him sponge baths.  Accept that you need to change his diapers.Him waking you up beats having to wash all the sheets every morning.

His poor sleep schedule is probably the reason for his hyper-activity and his agressiveness.  Correct him and move on.

BTW what is it you think his mom can do?

Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
emarin77
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:36 PM

First make sure he has a good diaper on to hold the pee.   Also, this is your house.  If your friend did not give you any lists of what or not to do, this child will have to eat what you are serving and go to sleep when you want him to.  With the hitting you have to teach the child you do not hit, say I'm angry.  You can also change his activty.  Is this child verbal?  If not, I worry.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured