Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

Do you believe humans are born to be selfish?

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 11 Replies

Poll

Question: Are humans born to be selfish?

Options:

Yes

No

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 14

View Results

My mother is horribly manipulative and controlling, terribly self centered and honestly cruel. Over the last week, for example my only living grandparent has been in the hospital since last Wednesday with blood clots in her lungs. My mom decided to not tell me of this until Sunday morning and then proceeded to tell me that my grandmother requested that I not go to the hospital. I sent flowers anyway, and the same day my grandmother called and thanked me for them and asked if I was going to come up at all. She keeps us all apart all the time by making you think that people are angry with you, and I am it the confrontational type so I just try to let it go...because of this I have distanced myself quite a bit. It has made her fire worse honestly, so she has a reason to say "look how my daughter treats me, she won't even do x,y,z for me" , which is true but only because I don't want to feel like crap around her. I talked to my sister about all this and she is generally the same as my mom but I wanted to try and explain to her why I have distanced myself and this is what she comes up with....so do you agree? I just can not take the stress of trying to accommodate her and my own family ( almost four boys and a husband).... I just feel stuck...and apparently to them I am selfish.
Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:54 PM
Hello?
TugBoatMama
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:55 PM
1 mom liked this

I think we as humans are inherently selfish.

nataliesmom2012
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
I think it's a natural thing to be somewhat selfish.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
kansasmom1978
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM

No I think everything is taught. 

spicy_n_sweet
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:59 PM

I think selfishness is one of those innate human qualities that we all are born with.  People actively  choose to be selfless, they actively choose to try and not make selfish choices/decisions. We naturally gravitate to selfishness, some however actively choose to not be selfish in some situations. We are all, by nature, selfish to one degree or another. Our level of selfishness, or self actions, is an active choice.

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:01 PM

Yes. I heard a study on XM radio about how it peaks in the teen age years and then subsides as we age. However, as we get older men remain selfish even at old age. LOL True story!

jellybeanjean
by Gold Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 11:04 PM
I think selfishness is a very basic form of survival....so yeah I think humans are born somewhat selfish....but of course that condition can change.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
MixedCooke
by Platinum Member on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:10 AM

we are born to fight for our own survival at whatever costs. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:12 AM
1 mom liked this

Being selfish is a basic instinct we have and need for survival.

banana-bear
by on Apr. 3, 2013 at 2:14 AM
I'm not reading your clusterfuck, but yes, I think we are all born selfish and it continues well into young adulthood.
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)