Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Mom Confessions Mom Confessions

I'm getting the paraguard in a few weeks....

Anonymous
Posted by Anonymous
  • 37 Replies

Those who have had/have it, how was it going in? Cramping after? Painful? How long did it take? How bad are your cramps and bleeding now? I have heard those are common side effects. Dh has been reading on it, and is scared his penis is going to be cut up if he can feel strings and they need be be cut. Lol. Anything else you can tell me. Thanks.

Posted by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Tasha1977
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this

best decision i ever made!  no hormones!  hurt only tiny pinch, like a regular pap going in, had it 6 yrs now and once in a while I do get killer cramps for a day and a heavy period, but its not every month.... and waaaay better than everything I used with hormones, and dh and I have no oops worries.  I am a little worried about it coming out.  I say you made a good decision op, don't be worried - although i was too.  take some advil before your appt.  you will be fine  :-)  think of the alternative - pregnancy and birth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:47 PM

The no hormones is why It's my choice. I am hoping the periods aren't too bad since the first few days are painful enough. I have heard people say it fell out or they took it out themselves. Uhhh...ouch? Lol. I read you have to check for the strings to make sure it's in place?

Quoting Tasha1977:

best decision i ever made!  no hormones!  hurt only tiny pinch, like a regular pap going in, had it 6 yrs now and once in a while I do get killer cramps for a day and a heavy period, but its not every month.... and waaaay better than everything I used with hormones, and dh and I have no oops worries.  I am a little worried about it coming out.  I say you made a good decision op, don't be worried - although i was too.  take some advil before your appt.  you will be fine  :-)  think of the alternative - pregnancy and birth. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:49 PM
I had a bad experience that resulted in a hysterectomy. I'm told my situation is rare.
Tasha1977
by Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

I've never gone searching for it... i figure I would feel it fall out? and yanking it out yourself is crazy!  I get it checked at my yearly exam. My periods arent that bad, nothing a heating pad and advil can't handle. 

Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:51 PM

Oh, yikes! What happened?  (if you don't mind me asking. If you don't want to tell, that's ok)

Quoting Anonymous:

I had a bad experience that resulted in a hysterectomy. I'm told my situation is rare.

.Nucking.Futs.
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM
I hate it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Anonymous
by Anonymous - Original Poster on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:53 PM

Why?

Quoting .Nucking.Futs.:

I hate it.

molly_ann
by Bronze Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:56 PM
Had it for 9 months and hated it! Bled like crazy once a month. Cramps were horrible. Once I had it removed I felt so much better!
Posted on the NEW CafeMom Mobile
GoddessNDaRuff
by on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
I loved it until it embedded. My periods were already long and it actually stopped my cramps. My husband could feel it sometimes. Warning if you have a known metal allergy, test to see how you react to copper specifically or else you will end up in a world of pain later.
justinnaimee
by Platinum Member on Apr. 2, 2013 at 10:58 PM
1 mom liked this
It just felt like a pap y gem I had period like cramps the rest of the day they put it in. The first 6 months my periods were crazy heavy. Like soak a tampon and pad every hour heavy. But they tapered off and became light. Hubby said he could feel it but it didn't hurt.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)